Iran Nuclear NewsExperts meet in Istanbul over Iran's nuclear programme

Experts meet in Istanbul over Iran’s nuclear programme

-

AFP: Iranian and foreign nuclear experts gathered in Istanbul on Monday to discuss Tehran’s controversial atomic programme, a European Union spokeswoman said. STANBUL (AFP) — Iranian and foreign nuclear experts gathered in Istanbul on Monday to discuss Tehran’s controversial atomic programme, a European Union spokeswoman said.

“The meeting is taking place at the expert-level as planned,” said Maja Kocijancic, spokeswoman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who is leading talks between Iran and the so-called P5+1 — Britain, China, France, Russia, the United States and Germany.

The closed-door meeting is being held in a secret location in the Turkish city, Kocijancic added.

The West and Israel suspect Tehran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons under the guise of what the Islamic republic insists is a purely civilian programme with peaceful ends.

Last week, US President Barack Obama said Iran was “over a year or so” from getting a nuclear bomb, warning that the military option remained on the table.

“We think that it would take over a year or so for Iran to actually develop a nuclear weapon, but obviously, we don’t want to cut it too close,” he said on Thursday in an interview with Israel’s Channel 2 television.

Should diplomacy fail, all options remained “on the table” for stopping Iran, he said.

Iran and the P5+1 resumed discussions over the decade-old dispute late February after a months-long break and failed meetings in Istanbul, Baghdad and Moscow.

The talks — held in Kazakhstan — saw the five UN Security Council members and Germany offer Iran a softening of non-oil or financial sector-related sanctions in exchange for concessions over Tehran’s sensitive uranium enrichment operations.

The offer reportedly involves easing sanctions on Iran’s gold and precious metals trade and lifting some very small banking operations.

In return, it demands a tougher nuclear inspection regime and the interruption of enrichment operations at the feared Fordo bunker facility where 20-percent enrichment goes on.

The talks were praised by Tehran as a possible turning point in the dispute, and the next political-level meeting takes place in the Kazakh city of Almaty on April 5-6.

Latest news

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Must read

How the CIA got it wrong on Iran’s nukes

Wall Street Journal Europe: In 2007, U.S. intelligence said...

Powell says Iran nuke row can be solved

AP: Former Secretary of State Colin Powell expressed hope...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you