Iran Nuclear NewsUS voices concern over new Iran uranium mines

US voices concern over new Iran uranium mines

-

AFP: The United States reacted with concern Wednesday after Iran unveiled a new uranium production facility and two extraction mines, but said it had not been “blindsided” by the news. LONDON (AFP) — The United States reacted with concern Wednesday after Iran unveiled a new uranium production facility and two extraction mines, but said it had not been “blindsided” by the news.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hailed the advances on Tuesday and boasted of mastery over “the entire chain of nuclear energy” only days after talks with world powers on its disputed nuclear programme ended in deadlock.

“They have continued to move forward, we are very concerned about what they are doing,” a senior State Department official said, asking to remain anonymous.

The official acknowledged that despite intensive and “substantive” discussions in Almaty, Kazakhstan last week, Iran had given no hint of the news.

“We weren’t blindsided about it, because we are rarely blindsided about the things that they are considering. But they did not specify that they were going to do this,” the official said.

“They did specify that they were going to proceed forward and do everything they could to fulfil what they see as their inalienable right,” the official told reporters travelling with US Secretary of State John Kerry.

Kerry on Tuesday denounced the Iranian news as “provocative.”

“To make any step that increases the rapidity with which you move towards enriched fissile material raises the potential of questions, if not even threat,” he told reporters at the end of a visit to Israel.

“The clock that is ticking on Iran’s programme has a stop moment and it does not tick interminably.”

The United States and its partners in the P5+1 talks wanted a diplomatic way forward, Kerry stressed, but “negotiations are not for the sake of negotiations, they are to make progress.”

“Negotiations cannot be allowed to become a process of delay which in and of itself creates greater danger.”

Iran’s nuclear programme will be discussed at a meeting of G8 foreign ministers in London on Wednesday and Thursday.

And the US official praised the international sanctions, aimed at choking off supplies and cash for Iran’s nuclear program, which have been hitting exports of Iranian oil abroad — a key currency earner for the regime.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Senior Iran cleric says West has planned attack on Islam

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Mar. 10 – A senior...

Belgian authorities stop firm exporting to Iran over nuclear fears

AFP: A Belgian-based company has been denied a licence...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you