Iran Nuclear NewsCorker chides Obama administration on nuke concessions to Iran

Corker chides Obama administration on nuke concessions to Iran

-

Iran Focus

Washington, 20 Jun – US Senator Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, chided on Friday the Obama administration over comments by Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday that the US would be prepared to accept concessions regarding full disclosure of Iran’s past attempts to develop a nuclear weapon, including permitting sanctions relief before those issues are fully resolved.

“Last year, the administration assured our committee that the questions and concerns regarding Iran’s previous weaponization efforts would be resolved before a final agreement is reached and any sanctions relieved,” said Corker.

“Secretary Kerry’s comments this week and efforts to walk them back have only raised further doubts about the administration holding firm on demands that Iran come clean about past military aspects of its nuclear program.”

“The administration should walk away and make good on their promise that no deal is better than a bad deal if there is anything less than full disclosure up front from Iran and the ability to conduct inspections anytime, anywhere.”

State Department spokesperson John Kirby appeared to reiterate similar concessions regarding demands that Iran reveal past military aspects of its nuclear program, Corker said. Kirby also suggested sanctions relief could occur “as” Iran begins meeting those obligations after a final agreement.

Last year in testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, US lead negotiator Wendy Sherman assured the committee that possible military dimensions of Iran’s nuclear program would be resolved “before” a final agreement and “all the sanctions…will remain in effect until those concerns are addressed”.

Iran and the P5+1 states – Britain, China, France, Russia, the US and Germany – have a self-imposed deadline of 30 June to reach an agreement limiting Iran’s nuclear program in exchange for relief from economic sanctions.

Latest news

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Middle Eastern Countries Seek Ways to Move Oil Through the Strait of Hormuz

An Iraqi government source told the Iraqi news outlet Shafagh News that Iraq's State Oil Marketing Organization (SOMO) is...

Iran’s Regime Plans Fuel Rationing, Higher Gasoline Prices Within Next 15 Days

Esmail Saghab-Esfahani, a vice president of Iran's regime, said on Saturday, August 15, that Iran's daily gasoline consumption is...

Must read

Tehran residents react to UN resolution

Iran Focus: Tehran, Jun. 10 - Hours after the...

Annan warns against conflict with Iran

AP: Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan warned Thursday that...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you