Iran Nuclear NewsUN likely to vote on Iran nuclear deal next...

UN likely to vote on Iran nuclear deal next week

-

Iran Focus

Washington, 15 Jul – The United States on Wednesday circulated a draft resolution to the UN Security Council that would endorse the Iran nuclear deal, reached earlier in the week between Tehran and the major world powers, but retain an arms embargo and ban on ballistic missile technology, said diplomats ahead of a likely vote next week.

US Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power briefed the 15-member council on the draft document behind closed doors.

The deal reached on Tuesday in Vienna with Iran was negotiated by Germany, the European Union and the five permanent, veto-wielding members of the Security Council – Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States.

In return for lifting sanctions, Iran agreed to long-term curbs on a nuclear program that the West suspected was aimed at creating an atomic bomb, but which Tehran says is peaceful.

The seven-page draft, seen by Reuters, states that the seven previous U.N. resolutions on Iran will be terminated when the International Atomic Energy Agency submits a report verifying Iran has implemented certain nuclear-related measures.

Included in the draft UN resolution is a so-called stand-alone statement, which details an arms embargo, restrictions on the transfer of nuclear technologies and ballistic missile technology, and targeted sanctions.

The statement says that states can transfer this technology and heavy weapons, such as tanks, warships and attack helicopters, if approved by the Security Council on a case-by-case basis.

“That essentially though is meaningless because as a matter of policy the United States will veto any suggested transfer of missile technology to Iran”, Reuters quoted a US official with knowledge of the resolution as saying.

The ban on ballistic missile technology will remain in place for eight years, an arms embargo for five years, and restrictions on nuclear technology for a decade.

The statement lists 36 individuals and entities who will no longer be subjected to an asset freeze and travel ban. There are currently 43 individuals and 78 entities on the UN blacklist. The targeted sanctions regime will be in place for eight years.

It also calls on countries to monitor the Iran deal by inspecting all cargo to and from Iran if they suspect it contains items that violate the nuclear deal.

The draft resolution enshrines a mechanism for all current Security Council sanctions to be automatically re-imposed if Iran breaches the deal, referred to by some diplomats as snapback.

According to the Vienna deal, the six world powers, Iran and the European Union will form a joint commission to handle any complaints about breaches. If the complaining state is not satisfied with how the commission addresses its concerns, it could then take its grievance to the UN Security Council.

The Security Council would then need to vote on a resolution to extend the sanctions relief for Iran.

If such a resolution has not been adopted within 30 days of the council receiving the complaint of a breach, then the sanctions contained in all previous UN resolutions would be re-imposed, unless the council decided otherwise.

According to the draft UN resolution, if the previous sanctions are re-imposed they would not apply retroactively to contracts Iran signed.

If the nuclear deal is adhered to, all the provisions and measures of the UN resolution would terminate 10 years after the Vienna agreement comes into effect and the Iran nuclear issue would be removed from the Security Council agenda.

The US official said that the five permanent members of the UN Security Council have agreed to adopt a new resolution after 10 years that would extend for another five years the mechanism allowing sanctions to be re-imposed.

Based in part on wire reports

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran cracks down on Sufis: hundreds remain jailed

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 19 – Iran Focus...

Ahmadinejad: Iran must purge “liberal” and “secular” teachers

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Sep. 05 – Iran’s hard-line...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you