Iran Nuclear NewsFrance 'concerned' at Iran's return to nuclear activities

France ‘concerned’ at Iran’s return to nuclear activities

-

AFP: France voiced “concern” Monday at a declaration by Iran that it was ending a nine-month suspension on nuclear development activities agreed with the European Union and resuming uranium ore conversion. “There is no economic or technical justification” for the resumption of the nuclear activities, foreign ministry spokeswoman Cecile Pozzo di
Borgo told journalists. AFP

PARIS – France voiced “concern” Monday at a declaration by Iran that it was ending a nine-month suspension on nuclear development activities agreed with the European Union and resuming uranium ore conversion.

“There is no economic or technical justification” for the resumption of the nuclear activities, foreign ministry spokeswoman Cecile Pozzo di Borgo told journalists.

She added that Paris was “surprised” by Tehran’s announcement.

France, Britain and Germany brokered the original deal under which Iran agreed to suspend its nuclear programme in exchange for trade benefits.

The United States fears the programme’s aim is to develop nuclear weapons and not just nuclear energy as claimed by Tehran.

Iran had warned on Sunday that it would resume its conversion work if the EU failed by Monday to come up with a package of trade and security incentives.

However, the Europeans told Tehran they would make the offer by August 7, after Wednesday’s swearing-in of ultra-conservative Mahmood Ahmadinejad as Iran’s new president.

Pozzo di Borgo said European ministers had confirmed in a letter to Iranian authrorities last week that a number of propositions would be presented “before August 7”.

“These propositions are generous and open the way to new relations between Iran and Europe,” she said.

“In particular, they recognise Iran’s rights within the NPT (nuclear non-proliferation treaty) and the option to develop a safe, economically viable and non-proliferating nuclear programme.”

She said that if Iran maintained the agreed-upon suspension, “we are ready to engage in discussions on this basis and we call on Iran to study it (the European offer) very seriously.”

In a radio interview earlier Monday, French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said Iran’s pressuring tactics were unacceptable, and that Tehran must be prevented from making an atomic bomb.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran’s dangerous drivers face flogging: report

AFP: Drivers in Iran found guilty of dangerous behaviour...

Khamenei says US, Britain will fail to isolate Iran

AFP: Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei lashed out Sunday...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you