Iran Nuclear NewsEU offers Tehran last-minute talks to 'explain' nuclear deal

EU offers Tehran last-minute talks to ‘explain’ nuclear deal

-

The Guardian: The EU’s foreign policy chief, Javier Solana, has made an unexpected private offer of last-minute talks to persuade the Iranian government to accept the west’s nuclear package. The Guardian

Simon Tisdall and Ewen MacAskill in Tehran

The EU’s foreign policy chief, Javier Solana, has made an unexpected private offer of last-minute talks to persuade the Iranian government to accept the west’s nuclear package.

Sources in Tehran said yesterday that Mr Solana had been having telephone conversations with Ali Larijani, the chief Iranian nuclear negotiator, to try to clarify “ambiguities” in the joint offer from the United States, Britain and other European countries.

Iran has so far declined to respond formally to the offer, which includes a range of incentives to persuade it to suspend uranium enrichment. Although it has described the package as a “positive step forward”, Tehran has said some of the elements are vague and uncertain.

Saeid Jalili, the deputy minister of foreign affairs, confirmed in an interview that renewed discussions were under way. He said: “My colleagues have talked with Mr Solana over the phone and the gentleman has expressed a willingness to come and explain the ambiguities. That is good, and we welcome that.

“So far we have not arranged anything. It is just an expression of willingness,” Mr Jalili added.

A western diplomat confirmed the EU initiative, saying: “We have offered them a further meeting. It would be semi-private and there would be no press conferences.” He said the meeting could take place in Vienna or Tehran.

Mr Solana’s offer has underlined the high stakes riding on Iran’s acceptance of the western negotiations package, which is designed to halt the long-running dispute over its controversial nuclear development activities.

The EU said on Monday it expected to have a formal response – and hopefully an acceptance of the offer – by the end of the month. The western diplomat agreed there was a de facto deadline, saying: “Time is important. The G8 foreign ministers meet at the end of the month and the G8 [leaders”> in mid-July. They will say what is Iran’s response to our proposals.”

But Iran has insisted it will not be pressurised by the west and will accept no preconditions for talks.

The foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, said this week that the package was being debated by expert committees. Iran’s final word is expected to come from the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, or from Mr Larijani.

The US president, George Bush, warned Iran on Monday that Washington “would not waver” from its insistence that Tehran cease all enrichment activities at its Natanz nuclear facility. If Iran did not comply, he implied the US would refuse to participate in future negotiations.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Aids experts to stand trial in Iran

Press Association: Iran's judiciary spokesman has confirmed that two...

Illegal Export of Industrial Equipment from the U.S. to Iran

Abdolrahman Hantoosh, known as "Ray Hunt," a 70-year-old Iranian...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you