Iran Nuclear NewsPowell stands by accusations of Iran's nuclear ambitions

Powell stands by accusations of Iran’s nuclear ambitions

-

AFP: US Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday rejected criticism of his accusations that Iran is seeking to adapt its missiles to carry nuclear warheads. “The people who are raising the questions are people who have not seen the information,” Powell told journalists accompanying him on
a trip to Israel and the Palestinian territories. AFP

JERUSALEM – US Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday rejected criticism of his accusations that Iran is seeking to adapt its missiles to carry nuclear warheads.

“The people who are raising the questions are people who have not seen the information,” Powell told journalists accompanying him on a trip to Israel and the Palestinian territories.

Powell said Wednesday that Washington had information suggesting that Iran was “actively working” to adapt its missiles to carry nuclear warheads.

However, US paper the Washington Post then reported that Powell’s information had been based on what one senior official called an “unvetted, single source”.
Arriving in Israel, Powell said he stuck by his information.

The fact that Iran, which already has advanced missile technology and is accused by Washington of seeking to develop a nuclear bomb, wants to put the two together is “not surprising”, Powell said.

Tehran has denied the accusations.

Powell suggested that informal contact could be had with Iranian officials at a conference on Iraq’s future in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on Monday and Tuesday.

“There may be meals where we are meeting together in a social setting,” he said.

However, Iran earlier ruled out the prospect of any meeting with Powell on the sidelines of the conference, saying direct talks would be pointless as he is about to step down from his post.

“Powell had four years to change the attitude of the United States towards Iran but he didn’t. Now he is not in charge anymore, and it would not be very useful to meet him,” foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters.

Latest news

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Must read

Iran says incentives proposal needs study

AP: World powers on Tuesday gave Iran a package...

America’s broken Middle East promise

Detroit News: Presently, hundreds of other Camp Liberty residents,...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you