Iran Nuclear NewsIran minister: Nuclear talks 'On Track'

Iran minister: Nuclear talks ‘On Track’

-

AP: Iran’s foreign minister said Monday that talks between top Iranian and European negotiators on his country’s disputed nuclear program are “on track” and he believes a negotiated solution to the standoff is possible. Associated Press

By EDITH M. LEDERER and SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI

Associated Press Writers

UNITED NATIONS (AP) – Iran’s foreign minister said Monday that talks between top Iranian and European negotiators on his country’s disputed nuclear program are “on track” and he believes a negotiated solution to the standoff is possible.

Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki told The Associated Press that he expects European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana and Iran’s top nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani to hold their third meeting “very soon,” probably in Europe, though he didn’t have an exact date or location.

The two officials had been expected to meet in New York on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly ministerial meeting that began last week, but Mottaki said it wasn’t possible because Larijani’s deputy and members of his delegation weren’t given U.S. visas.

“But the last two or three days, they have been in contact and they are coordinating,” the Iranian minister said in an exclusive interview. “I think very soon they will have the next round of discussions.”

Mottaki said “there was good connection between the two sides” after Iran responded on Aug. 22 to a package of incentives from six key nations for Iran if it suspends uranium enrichment. He added that after the first two rounds of talks, Larijani and Solana “mentioned jointly that it was positive, constructive and another step forward.”

Six key nations trying to curb Iran’s nuclear ambitions – Britain, France, Germany, the United States, France and Russia – are hoping Tehran will agree quickly to suspend uranium enrichment after it missed an Aug. 31 deadline and return to negotiations, but they are planning for sanctions if it does not.

“We do believe that case has gone once again on track. … All the parties should support and make a commitment to support the negotiations and generally I believe there are possibilities to reach a comprehensive solution based on negotiations for both parties,” Mottaki said.

The U.N. Security Council set an Aug. 31 deadline for Iran to suspend enrichment or face mild initial sanctions. It urged the Iranian government to respond positively to a package of incentives put forward in June by the six parties. Iran responded in a lengthy document that raised many questions.

The six parties let the deadline slip after Solana described his initial meeting with Larijani as “constructive.”

Oil-rich Iran says it needs uranium enrichment to produce fuel for nuclear reactors that would generate electricity and insists its program is peaceful. Enrichment can also create material for atomic bombs, however, and the United States and other nations have accused Tehran of seeking to develop atomic weapons.

Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said for the first time at a press conference Thursday that Iran is prepared to negotiate the suspension of its enrichment activities “under fair and just conditions.”

Asked what those conditions are, Mottaki laughed and said: “Justice is the main element in foreign policy, particularly in the new government’s approach to either domestic or international issues and problems.”

“That’s why he does believe that any condition, any questions, any decision should be based on justice,” Mottaki said.

How does he define justice?

“Yes, in its convenient time, we will explain. I’m sorry,” the foreign minister said.

Latest news

The Collapse of Investment in Iran, the Shutdown of Production, the Downward Spiral of Life

The collapse of investment in Iran means the halt of production, widespread unemployment, capital flight, the destruction of job...

Inflation, Economic Crisis, and the Silent Collapse of Iran’s Middle Class

The state-run Khabar Fori website wrote on May 22 that the phenomenon of “poor billionaires” has become one of...

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Must read

Suspicion grows on Iran’s uranium

Sunday Times: Inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency...

Iran says has military might to deter attacks

Reuters: President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday Iran had...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you