Iran TerrorismArgentina orders detention of Colombian in bombing

Argentina orders detention of Colombian in bombing

-

ImageAP: A federal judge on Tuesday requested the international capture of a Colombian national suspected of involvement in the 1994 bombing of a Jewish cultural center in Argentina that killed 85 people.

The Associated Press

By MAYRA PERTOSSI

ImageBUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — A federal judge on Tuesday requested the international capture of a Colombian national suspected of involvement in the 1994 bombing of a Jewish cultural center in Argentina that killed 85 people.

Argentine judge Rodolfo Canicoba Corral has asked Interpol to detain Samuel Salman, 43, who is believed to be living in Lebanon, the judge's secretary, Fernando Pojaghi, told The Associated Press.

Canicoba issued the request at the behest of federal attorney Alberto Nisman, who presented a declaration on May 20 saying he had gathered sufficient evidence against Salman.

Nisman said Salman had lived in Argentina since 1987 and left the country a week after the attack to live in Lebanon.

Eighty-five people were killed and 200 were injured when a bomb exploded in a van outside the Argentine Israeli Mutual Association on July 18, 1994 — the country's bloodiest terrorist attack.

The center, a symbol for Argentina's Jewish population of more than 200,000, was destroyed two years after a bomb flattened the Israeli Embassy in Buenos Aires, killing 29 people.

Argentine officials claim that Iran orchestrated the attack and that the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group carried it out. The United States and Israel also say Iran is behind the bombing, but Iran has denied it.

According to Nisman, Salman had strong ties with the local Muslim community and helped coordinate the Hezbollah members' stay in Argentina. He alleges that Salman also gathered the information necessary for the group to carry out the attack.

The investigation into the attack has reached high echelons of power in Argentina.

A prosecutor last year sought the arrest of former President Carlos Menem, accusing him of covering up the involvement of a Syrian-Argentine businessman in the attack. Menem, the son of Syrian immigrants, has denied the allegation.

Latest news

Iran Is on the Brink of a Revolution

The wall of fear has been broken. In many cities across Iran, women are taking to the streets, leading...

Iran’s Regime Claims To Fill Global Energy Gap Despite Crippled Petroleum Sector

In recent weeks, the Iranian regime’s officials have been constantly exaggerating their huge capacity in oil and gas reserves...

What Is Happening in Iran?

Following the brutal killing of Masha Amini, the Iranian people have once again united to fight and defeat the...

Iran Regime’s Ministry of Culture’s Decision To Eliminate Children’s Intellectual Centers

With the so-called ‘Cultural Revolution’ which took place between 1980 and 1983, the Iranian regime tried to purge the...

Water Shortage Crisis and the Destruction of Iran’s Water Resources

Iran is currently suffering from a number of dangerous natural disasters. One of the most worrying is the drying...

Economic Freedom Under the Rule of the Mullahs in Iran

The Fraser institute published its annual report of the index of economic freedom on September 8, which measured the...

Must read

US Congressional Committee Approves Iran Democracy Promotion Legislation

Voice of America: A U.S. congressional committee has approved...

Diplomats: Iranian minister meets IAEA chief

AP: Diplomats say Iran's foreign minister has met the...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you