Iran TerrorismBritain slams Iran over Taliban weapons

Britain slams Iran over Taliban weapons

-

AFP: Foreign Secretary William Hague on Wednesday condemned Tehran’s “completely unacceptable” actions after British special forces seized Iranian weapons heading to the Taliban in Afghanistan.

LONDON, March 9, 2011 (AFP) – Foreign Secretary William Hague on Wednesday condemned Tehran’s “completely unacceptable” actions after British special forces seized Iranian weapons heading to the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Hague said a shipment of arms intercepted in a recent operation by Afghan and international forces in Nimroz in southern Afghanistan were supplied by Iran and destined for the Taliban insurgency.

It is believed that British special forces were involved in the seizure of the arms convoy on February 5.

Hague said: “The detailed technical analysis, together with the circumstances of the seizure, leave us in no doubt that the weaponry recovered came from Iran. This is completely unacceptable.

“It is at odds with Iran’s claim to the international community and to its own people that it supports stability and security in Afghanistan.”

He said the weaponry was “clearly intended to provide the Taliban with the capability to kill Afghan and ISAF soldiers from significant range.”

Hague gave no further details of the weaponry, but officials in Afghanistan said International Security Assistance Force troops had seized 48 122mm rockets, which have a range of 20 kilometres (13 miles), in Nimroz, which borders Iran.

They are being linked to Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards.

Iran rejects it was behind the shipment, with a foreign ministry spokesman describing the allegations last week as “baseless and unacceptable.”

Hague said Britain’s ambassador in Tehran has raised the issue with the Iranian foreign ministry.

A total of 358 British troops have been killed since operations in Afghanistan began in October 2001. At least 314 died in hostile action, often by bombs laid by the Taliban.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Bush, Putin discuss Iran

UPI: President Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke...

Germany says cannot wait until Aug 22 for Iran

Reuters: Germany's foreign minister said on Monday it was...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you