Iran TerrorismSiege gunman connected to Iranian spy agencies, says lawyer

Siege gunman connected to Iranian spy agencies, says lawyer

-

Source: THE AUSTRALIAN

bY: Paul Maley
MAN Haron Monis, the gunman behind last month’s deadly Sydney siege, would have been closely connected to Iran’s sprawling ­intelligence establishment before his arrival in Australia, his former lawyer claims.

Source: THE AUSTRALIAN

by: Paul Maley

MAN Haron Monis, the gunman behind last month’s deadly Sydney siege, would have been closely connected to Iran’s sprawling ­intelligence establishment before his arrival in Australia, his former lawyer claims.

Nazir Daawar, who repres­ented Monis after he was charged in 2011 for sending offensive letters to the families of Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, said his former client had been a privileged member of the Iranian elite prior to his arrival in Australia.

Mr Daawar said Monis’s job as the director of a travel agency could not have been obtained without high-level connections to Iran’s intelligence services.

He said in Iran such jobs were considered positions of considerable authority, as travel agents were involved in obtaining visas in and out of the country.

“Knowing the Iranian community and their system, a person who did not have these connections would not be put into that position,’’ Mr Daawar told The Australian.

On December 15, Monis took 17 people hostage in the Lindt cafe in Sydney’s Martin Place. The siege ended 16 hours later with Monis and two hostages being shot dead.

The self-styled sheik and ­religious fanatic is understood to have arrived in Australia in 1996 on a business visa before applying for, and obtaining, refugee status. In letters reportedly written by him after his arrival in Australia, Monis claims to have had ­inside knowledge of the workings of the Iranian intelligence services. Monis had been a figure of ­occasional interest to Australia’s police and security services.

Mr Daawar described his former client as an often charming and charismatic man, but one given to outbursts of temper.

He said he refused to represent Monis after the Iranian ignored his advice not to address the media as the charges against him were being heard. “He was a very good talker. He could run a religious talk with power, with charisma. Even the first time he came to my office, he impressed me with the way he ­behaved,’’ Mr Daawar said.

Monis was investigated by ASIO in 2008 after he sent a series of offensive letters to the families of killed Diggers.

There is little doubt that the final judgment of the security agencies was that Monis was mentally unbalanced and was considered more of a pest than a threat.

The nature of his relationship with security agencies after he ­arrived in the country in 1996 ­remains unclear.

Sources familiar with ASIO’s practices say there is little doubt the agency would have examined his claimed relationship with the Iranian intelligence services.

However, it is not clear what conclusions, if any, they formed on Monis in the mid-1990s, or what, if any, bearing those judgments had on Monis’s application for a protection visa.

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

EU says Iran oil embargo will be enforced July 1

AFP: The European Union confirmed Monday that a ban...

Iran Earthquake Sees More Than 540 Dead: What Is Regime Doing?

Iran Focus London, 14 Nov - Thousands of Iranians...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you