Iran TerrorismU.S. Officials BelieveYemen's Houthi Rebels’ Weapons are Supplied by...

U.S. Officials BelieveYemen’s Houthi Rebels’ Weapons are Supplied by Iran

-

Iran Focus

London, 29 October – In an October 27 article by Courtney Kube for NBC News she writes that U.S. officials believe Iran has supplied weapons to the Houthis in Yemen — including coastal defense cruise missiles, as told to NBC News.

Vice Admiral Kevin Donegan said, ”We believe that Iran is connected to this.”

Donagan is the head of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, tasked with securing the waters off of Yemen. He said that the U.S. and partner nations have intercepted five weapons shipments from Iran, headed to the Houthis in Yemen. The first intercept was in April 2015 when seven ships protected by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps Navy tried to take weapons to Yemen. He said, ”They were filled with coastal defense cruise missiles, boats that we believe were explosive boats, other weapons that were clearly on the decks of their ships that we saw.”

Four other ships with weapons have been intercepted since then. “We know they came from Iran and we know the destination.” He added, “The weapons ranged from thousands of AK-47s, reverse engineered Iranian missiles similar to the TOW anti-tank missiles, sniper rifles, pieces of other equipment and higher end weapons systems.”
The Iranians are training the rebel fighters to operate the advanced weapons and radar systems, according to Donagan. “It’s not something that’s going to come with an instruction manual, we think that Iran had some hand in this.”

Other shipments from Iran probably made it to Yemen, and into Houthi hands. “We did not catch or pick up all the ships,” he said. “It’s fortunate we were able to find [these ships]. There certainly are others.”

“Since that overt weapons shipment, I think that you can connect the dots that those things have been working their way, higher end weapons systems have found their way to Yemen, and they didn’t just appear on their own,” he said.

The US military retaliated by taking out three radar sites along the coast, after the Houthis fired missiles at several U.S. Navy ships. The head of U.S. Central Command, General Joseph Votel, said in an interview with NBC News, that those strikes were successful, but they did not stop the Houthis’ capabilities.

Votel continued, ”There are probably other radars up and down the coast. Certainly taking out these three radar sites that we struck is important, but we should expect that with time they can re-establish these things and when they have that ability we’ll be back in place.”
Donegan agrees with him. “The radar sites will be re-set. I absolutely believe the capability still exists. The radar sites, we disrupted their capabilities, we did not take away their capabilities.”

The U.S. military is “working very hard” to find the mobile missile launchers that the Houthis used, “In case there is a further attack we want to know about that network and how they do their business,” Donegan said.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran to work with Russia to stop strike on Syria

AP: Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said his country will...

Khamenei Bans Importing COVID Vaccines, Leading Iran to More Deaths

In Iran, not a day goes by without sad...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you