Iran TerrorismUK Warship En-Route to Gulf to Tackle Iran

UK Warship En-Route to Gulf to Tackle Iran

-

Britain has sent warship HMS Kent to the Gulf to join a United States-led maritime security mission to protect commercial shipping vessels in the region as tensions between the West and Iran continue to rise.

By Pooya Stone

Britain has sent warship HMS Kent to the Gulf to join a United States-led maritime security mission to protect commercial shipping vessels in the region as tensions between the West and Iran continue to rise.

This comes after Iran seized a British oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz last month, accusing it of violating maritime law. Iran likely made this move in retaliation to the July 4 seizure of an Iranian vessel off the coast of Gibraltar by British marines, who suspected it of smuggling oil to Syria.

Andy Brown, HMS Kent’s commanding officer, said: “Our focus in the Gulf remains firmly one of de-escalating the current tensions. But we are committed to upholding freedom of navigation and reassuring international shipping, which this deployment on operations aims to do.”

This deployment was first announced late last month, shortly after the UK said it would not be able to protect every commercial vessel in the Strait.

HMS Kent will relieve another British ship, HMS Duncan, which is currently working in the region.

Meanwhile, US Rear Admiral Michael Boyle, Commander of the Carrier Strike Group 12, said that his naval base in Bahrain is ready to defend US interests against Iran, saying that “readiness” is a deterrent.

While the carrier is not in the Strait, it could make the transit if needed, but Boyle prefers to remain in the northern Arabian Sea where they can strike Iran, but Iran cannot strike them.

Captain Peter Mirisola, Head of Task Force 55, said that encouraging US allies to cooperate against Iran would require more time, explaining that the US would need to disclose their military capability first.

He said: “This is a situation that requires time. Each nation’s capital has to go through the process of their own force generation and what capability they can are willing to provide to the international maritime security construct.”

This came just after Iran unveiled what it said was a locally upgraded radar system with a range of 250 miles to defend against missiles and drones. Brigadier General Alireza Sabahifard, commander of the regular army’s air defences, claimed that the original system had been out of operation for a considerable time, but did not name the country of origin.

Western military analysts say that Iran often exaggerates its weapons capabilities, so it is likely that this is another example of this. However, the US withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal last year over concerns about its long-range ballistic missile program, among other things, and Iran did shoot down a US military surveillance drone in the Gulf in June.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran says it will not hold talks with U.S. over Iraq

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, May 14 – Iran announced...

IRAN: 16 executed over a two-day period.

Iran Focus London, 29 Sep - On Wednesday, September 28,...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you