Iran Nuclear NewsIran says Solana nuclear talks July 19 in Geneva

Iran says Solana nuclear talks July 19 in Geneva

-

ImageAFP: Iran said on Friday that its top nuclear negotiator and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana will hold their next talks on ending the nuclear standoff on July 19, despite Western anger over the test-firing of several missiles by Tehran.

ImageTEHRAN (AFP) — Iran said on Friday that its top nuclear negotiator and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana will hold their next talks on ending the nuclear standoff on July 19, despite Western anger over the test-firing of several missiles by Tehran.

"They are to continue their negotiations about the package on Saturday, July 19" in Geneva, said Ahmad Khadem al-Melleh, spokesman for the secretariat of Iran's supreme national security council, according to the state-run IRNA agency.

World powers — Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States — last month presented Iran with a package aimed at ending the five-year-old nuclear crisis, notably offering Tehran technological incentives in exchange for suspending the sensitive process of uranium enrichment.

"The trip of Dr Jalili to Geneva is taking place after the world powers welcomed the continuation of the talks on common points in the two packages that have been proposed," the spokesman added.

Iran has proposed its own package — a more all-embracing attempt to solve the problems of the world including the nuclear standoff — and has made much of the common ground between the two proposals.

The French foreign ministry has, however, confirmed that Iran does not say in its response that it is prepared to suspend uranium enrichment, which world powers say they fear could be used to make a nuclear weapon.

Solana's spokeswoman Cristina Gallach declined to confirm the date, saying "we are continuing to work on the meeting and we are in the process of holding discussions" with Iran.

But she reaffirmed that a meeting was still scheduled by the end of this month.

Iran insists that its nuclear programme is aimed solely at generating energy for a growing population whose fossil fuel reserves will eventually run out.

Tensions over the nuclear standoff surged again in the past two days after Iran test-fired a broadside of missiles — including one it says brings Israel within range — in war games that provoked international concern.

On Wednesday, Tehran said it test-fired its Shahab-3 missile — the longest-range weapon in its arsenal — and eight other missiles. It followed this by saying it fired more missiles on Thursday in land manoeuvres at night and naval war games by day.

But a senior US defence official said Iran appeared to have fired only a single missile on Thursday, not a second broadside as suggested by Iranian media reports.

Other US officials also played down the significance of the tests, saying that no new hardware was shown.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the tests showed the limited range of Tehran's arsenal and proved that a planned US missile defence shield in Europe is unnecessary.

The United States and its regional ally Israel have never ruled out military action against Iran's nuclear facilities, and Tehran has warned of a ferocious response if it is attacked.

A senior Iranian cleric Ayatollah Mohammad Emami Kashani, in a Friday prayers sermon in Tehran, said Israel and the United States would "regret" launching any attack against Tehran.

But Emami Kashani also shrugged off concerns about the perceived threatening nature of the Islamic republic's war exercise.

"Iran does not recognise Israel because it is an occupier… But Iran does not want to get involved in a war with it and does not want to shoot its missiles to Tel Aviv," the conservative cleric said.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime is Rebuilding the Security Circle Around Mojtaba Khamenei with New Security Figure

The return of Hossein Taeb to the Iranian regime's security structures, at a time when the balance of power...

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Must read

Obama’s Middle Eastern Legacy Leaves Iran More Dangerous

Iran Focus London, 17 Jan - Obama’s policy on the...

G8 to tackle Iran, Darfur and other world conflicts

Reuters: Foreign ministers from the Group of Eight nations...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you