News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqIranian arms seized in Iraq, officials say

Iranian arms seized in Iraq, officials say

-

ImageNew York Times: Iraqi and American troops seized a rocket launcher loaded with about a dozen Iranian-made rockets aimed at an American base in the southern city of Basra, Iraqi officials said Tuesday.

The New York Times

By SAM DAGHER

ImageBAGHDAD — Iraqi and American troops seized a rocket launcher loaded with about a dozen Iranian-made rockets aimed at an American base in the southern city of Basra, Iraqi officials said Tuesday.

The United States military said in a statement that Iraqi and American forces conducted a search operation on Basra’s outskirts after hearing explosions near the base Monday night. The American statement said that Iraqi security forces confiscated 16 rockets and arrested three in connection with the operation without giving further details.

No casualties were reported.

A spokesman for the Basra police force, which took part in the operation, said that a rocket launcher loaded with 13 Grad rockets, positioned on the back of a pickup truck, was found in the Shatt al Arab district northeast of Basra. There was no explanation for the discrepancy in the number of rockets.

“They came from a neighboring country,” said the spokesman, Lt. Col. Rafie al-Jawad, but he refused to specify which one.

An Iraqi Army officer in Basra, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to disclose the information to the news media, said the rockets came from Iran.

Three American soldiers were killed in a rocket attack on their base in Basra last month. In April, American troops took responsibility for southern Iraq, including Basra, from departing British forces.

Separately, at least 2 Iraqis were killed and 15 were wounded when a roadside bomb exploded in a market Tuesday in the predominantly Shiite neighborhood of Abu Dshir in southern Baghdad, the Interior Ministry said.

In Mosul, four Iraqi police officers and an Iraqi soldier were killed in a series of shootings and bomb attacks on Tuesday, according to a police official.

Riyadh Mohammed contributed reporting from Baghdad, and Iraqi employees of The New York Times from Basra and Mosul.

Latest news

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Must read

Trump and Saudi King Vow to Combat Iran Threat

Iran Focus London, 22 May - At the US-Islamic summit,...

Rafsanjani emphasizes need for Iraqi national cohesion in meeting with KDP leader

Tehran Times: Chairman of the Expediency Council (EC) Akbar...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you