Iran General NewsIran yanks nuclear tweet after blowback

Iran yanks nuclear tweet after blowback

-

Fox News: Iran’s president seemed to be sending a taunting message to the United States via social media. But now he’s abruptly pulled back. 

 

FoxNews.com

By Lauren Ashburn

Iran’s president seemed to be sending a taunting message to the United States via social media. But now he’s abruptly pulled back. 

On its English-only Twitter feed yesterday, Hassan Rouhani let the world know that President Obama’s decision to pursue a nuclear agreement peacefully, while easing sanctions, equals a big win for his country. 

“Our relationship w/ the world is based on Iranian nation’s interests. In #Geneva agreement world powers surrendered to Iranian nation’s will,” he tweeted. 

Click on the old Twitter link now, and it says the page does not exist. 

The sudden deletion came after U.S. officials denied reports of a secret side deal with Tehran to carry out the nuclear agreement tentatively struck between the two sides in recent days. 

The disappearing tweet may have been an effort on Iran’s part to lower the temperature once White House spokesman Jay Carney had challenged the importance of Rouhani’s remarks during yesterday’s press briefing. 

“It doesn’t matter what they say. It matters what they do,” he said. 

Rouhani’s declaration of western “surrender” was delivered against the backdrop of mounting congressional pressure for additional financial sanctions against Iran. That effort threatens to undermine Obama’s push for a nuclear deal beyond the temporary six-month agreement now in place. 

The now-deleted tweet could easily raise the temperature on Capitol Hill where 58 Senators (including 16 Democrats) have already signed on to a tougher sanctions bill. So far, the Majority Leader Harry Reid has blocked any vote. 

Apparently Twitter diplomacy is harder than it looks.

Latest news

Ship Traffic Through the Strait of Hormuz Has Nearly Come to a Halt After Tanker Attacks

Reuters, citing data from maritime tracking company Kpler, reported that commercial ship traffic through the international Strait of Hormuz...

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Must read

Iranian human rights lawyer in fourth week of hunger strike

Toronto Star: Nasrin Sotoudeh’s awards would cover a wall....

Iran says Istanbul nuclear talks with EU were ‘positive’

Bloomberg: Iran’s deputy chief nuclear negotiator said his meeting...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you