Iran Human RightsIran Extends Travel Ban on Environmentalist's Widow

Iran Extends Travel Ban on Environmentalist’s Widow

-

Iran Focus

London, 20 Feb – Iranian authorities have extended the travel ban on the widow of an Iranian-Canadian environmentalist who died under suspicious circumstances in prison last year after being arrested on suspicion of spying, according to state-run news agency IRNA on Tuesday.

Payam Derafshan, the lawyer for widow Maryam Mombeini, said that he had gone to a Tehran court on Sunday to seek an end to the year-long travel ban imposed on her following the death of her husband Kavous Seyed-Emami, but the court extended the ban instead.

Derafshan explained that he responded with a letter of complaint to the Tehran prosecutor, in which he argued that the ban should not have been extended because Mombeini had cooperated fully with authorities and was not a suspect in the ongoing case against her late husband’s colleagues. He said that this travel ban prevented her from being with her two sons who have been in Canada since last March.

It is not clear why Mombeini has been barred from leaving Iran.

Ramin Emami, one of Mombeini’s sons based in Vancouver, retweeted a link to the IRNA report about his mother and added the comment “What to say about this injustice?” and the hashtag #bringmaryamhome.

Last March, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau urged Iran to let Mombeini travel to see her sons.

He tweeted: “Iran must allow Maryam Mombeini to leave the country and travel to Canada to be with her family – and the regime must provide answers in the death of her husband, Kavous Seyed-Emami, in Evin prison.”

Last January, Iran detained Seyed-Emami and eight other members of the Persian Wildlife Heritage Foundation, claiming that they were spying on military sites, even though their request to track an endangered species of cheetah in the area was approved by the Regime.

Seyed-Emami died in the February, with authorities claiming suicide, but refusing an investigation into his death.

The remaining environmentalists – Niloufar Bayani, Taher Ghadirian, Houman Jowkar, Sepideh Kashani, Amir Hossein Khaleghi, Abdolreza Kouhpayeh, Sam Rajabi and Morad Tahbaz – began their closed-door trial on January 30, 2019, with a great deal of the indictment being based on the forced confession of Bayani.

Bayani revealed this during the first session of the trial, interrupting the prosecutor to note that she had already retracted the confession she made under mental and physical duress. According to the Center for Human Rights in Iran (CHRI) and Human Rights Watch, Bayani was absent from the third, fourth, and fifth sessions of the trial, but the reason is unknown.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

China’s ZTE says it basically dropped Iran business

Reuters: ZTE Corp, China's second-largest telecoms equipment maker, ...

Iranian dissidents concerned as U.N., Iraq sign agreement over refugee camp

Fox News: The United Nations and the Iraqi government...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you