Iran Human RightsIran's Karoubi firm on fighting jail abuse cases

Iran’s Karoubi firm on fighting jail abuse cases

-

ImageReuters: Iranian moderate cleric Mehdi Karoubi said he would not give up fighting for rights of dozens of people complaining of mistreatment after being jailed over the country's disputed election, his website said on Tuesday. ImageTEHRAN, Sept 15 (Reuters) – Iranian moderate cleric Mehdi Karoubi said he would not give up fighting for rights of dozens of people complaining of mistreatment after being jailed over the country's disputed election, his website said on Tuesday.

Defeated candidate Karoubi, who finished fourth in the June 12 vote, angered hardliners in August by saying some detained protesters had been raped.

A top judicial investigative committee rejected Karoubi's allegation on Saturday and reportedly called for libel charges to be considered against anyone making such claims.

"I feel obliged to resist and not to give up my fight (for those who have been mistreated in jail)," said Karoubi in a statement published on his Etemademelli website on Tuesday.

"In my worst dreams I could never imagine a day will come when the Islamic Republic reacts to the people's peaceful rallies … with batons and bullets."

Karoubi and another defeated candidate Mirhossein Mousavi say the poll was rigged to secure President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election. Officials reject the charge.

The election and its turbulent aftermath plunged Iran into its deepest internal crisis in the past three decades. Rights groups say thousands of people, including senior reformers, were arrested after the poll, though most have been freed.

Hardliners have called for Karoubi to be arrested or charged if he fails to back up his accusations.

"The judicial committee calls for firm confrontation with me … I welcome this idea as an opportunity to reveal more details about the issue," Karoubi said.

Any legal action against Karoubi may lead to fresh protests because the mid-ranking cleric enjoys widespread support.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in July ordered the closure of Kahrizak detention centre south of Tehran, following reports of abuse of people who were detained in street unrest that followed the presidential poll.

At least three people died in custody there and last month the authorities said the head of Kahrizak had been jailed, as well as three policemen who beat detainees.

The opposition says more than 70 people were killed in post-election unrest. Officials estimate the death toll at up to 36 people including members of the Islamic Basij militia.

The authorities have portrayed the opposition protests as a foreign-backed bid to undermine the Islamic government system.

Iran last month began mass trials of more than 100 people, including a former vice president and other former top officials, accused of fomenting huge protests after the vote. (Writing by Parisa Hafezi; Editing by Louise Ireland)

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Rice slams Iran vote

AFP: US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Sunday...

Full text of statement by Britain’s Beckett on Iran incident

Iran Focus: London, Mar. 23 - Britain's Foreign Secretary...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you