News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqHospital officials: Iraqi forces forcibly removed Iranian dissidents from...

Hospital officials: Iraqi forces forcibly removed Iranian dissidents from hospital

-

AP: Iranian dissidents wounded in last week’s in clashes with Iraqi soldiers have been forcibly removed from their hospital beds and returned to their camp, two hospital workers said Wednesday.

The Associated Press

By Lara Jakes

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iranian dissidents wounded in last week’s in clashes with Iraqi soldiers have been forcibly removed from their hospital beds and returned to their camp, two hospital workers said Wednesday.

At least 17 patients, some of whom were described by a doctor as in critical condition at Baqouba public hospital, were taken back to Camp Ashraf in Iraq’s eastern Diyala province late Tuesday by security forces.

The camp residents are Iranian exiles from the People’s Mujahedeen Organization of Iran seeking the overthrow the clerical leaders in Iran. Tehran considers them a terrorist group, and their decades-old camp in Iraq has been an irritant between the Shiite-led governments of Iraq and Iran, who are trying to strengthen ties.

Government forces stormed the camp early Friday killing at least 12 people, according to Baqouba hospital officials, although Ashraf residents said as many as 34 died.

There was no way to verify the number because Iraqi forces have refused to let journalists inside the camp.

Three women were among the patients, many of whom were bandaged, according to the doctor and an ambulance driver who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Ashraf resident Shahriar Kia said the camp is unable to provide the medical care the patients need and called the move a plot by the Iraqi government to let them die.

Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Iraqi government has given the Ashraf residents until the end of the year to leave the country.

Seven other wounded residents are being treated by the U.S. military, said Kia, who urged American forces to help more of the patients.

The U.S. military has offered medical aid to the Ashraf residents but is refusing to discuss any details or confirm how many bodies might still be inside the camp.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Progress made toward UN-Iran resolution

AP: A senior U.S. official suggested Monday that China...

Iran devalues rial by 11 percent to spur domestic demand

AP: The Iranian currency, the rial, was devalued by...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you