News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqIran opposition charges Iraq’s Al Maliki allowing open attacks...

Iran opposition charges Iraq’s Al Maliki allowing open attacks on Camp Liberty

-

World Tribune: Iraq has been accused of giving the Tehran regime a free hand to attack the exiled Iranian opposition. The NCRI said Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al Maliki was allowing Iran to strike the exiled opposition community around Baghdad.

 

World Tribune

LONDON ― Iraq has been accused of giving the Tehran regime a free hand to attack the exiled Iranian opposition.

The National Council of Resistance of Iran said Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al Maliki was allowing Iran to strike the exiled opposition community around Baghdad.

In the latest attack, at least three people were killed and more than 50 injured in a rocket barrage on Dec. 26 on Camp Liberty.

“Al Maliki, who had returned from Iran earlier this month, was making a down payment to the Iranian regime to secure its support for his third term as prime minister,” NCRI director Maryam Rajavi said.

Camp Liberty is home to some 3,000 members and families of the Mujahadeen Khalq, the leading Iranian opposition group. The facility has come under repeated rocket strikes linked to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which operates throughout much of Iraq.

“[The latest attack] also reflected a desperate attempt by [the Iranian regime’s supreme leader Ali] Khamenei to confront the crisis of overthrow facing the vulnerable theocracy,” Ms. Rajavi said on Dec. 27. “Khamenei is trying to salvage the regime through the massacre of the MEK/PMOI [Mujahadeen] members, especially after giving in to the nuclear accord.”

The attack on Camp Liberty was said to have consisted of up to 36 missiles and rockets. The opposition reported the size of the missiles at

280 mm, with a destructive power 20 times greater than previous attacks, in which 107 mm rockets were fired.

In December 2013, Al Malaki visited Teheran in what the opposition alleged marked the latest Iranian directives to Baghdad. The opposition said

Al Malaki was encouraged by the tepid Western response to previous attacks on Camp Liberty and Camp Ashraf. The United States has been a leading military supplier to Iraq.

“The only practical and definitive action that would prevent further attack on Liberty [would be] the residents’ prompt transfer to a temporary location in the United States, even on a temporary basis,” Ms. Rajavi said.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Pledge for Parity: Women United Against Islamic Fundamentalism

Just before International Women’s Day 2016, many prominent political...

China considers supporting IAEA on Iran – minister

Reuters: China is "in principle" considering supporting an International...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you