Iran General NewsIran launches space missile: state TV

Iran launches space missile: state TV

-

Reuters: Iran has launched a missile capable of reaching space, Iran’s state television Web site reported on Sunday, quoting an Iranian aerospace official. TEHRAN (Reuters) – Iran has launched a missile capable of reaching space, Iran’s state television Web site reported on Sunday, quoting an Iranian aerospace official.

“Iran has successfully launched its first space missile made by Iranian scientists,” the head of Iran’s aerospace research center, Mohsen Bahrami, was quoted as saying.

On Saturday, Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said Iran was planning to build a satellite and launcher.

Iranian advances in building missiles capable of reaching space are watched closely by the West because the same technology could be used to build intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Iran launched its first satellite, Sina-1, into orbit from a Russian rocket in 2005 and has said it planned to modify its Shahab-3 missile, which Iran says has a range of about 2,000 km (1,250 miles), to launch satellites.

Bahrami said the missile was built by his center in cooperation of the Defense and Science Ministries. He gave no further details.

Despite announcing what would be a major advance in Iran’s missile technology, the news was mentioned only once by the main state TV news channel and was not carried by other Iranian official media.

The U.N. Security Council has slapped sanctions on Iran that bar the transfer of technology and know-how to Iran’s nuclear and missile programs, a move that was pushed for by the West because of fears that Iran is seeking to build atomic bombs.

Tehran says its nuclear program is purely civilian and aims to generate electricity.

The defense minister was quoted by a newspaper as saying: “Building a satellite and satellite launcher, as well as (previously) launching the first Iranian satellite called Sina with Russian cooperation, and becoming a member of the space club, are part of the Defense Ministry’s plans.”

The daily Etemad-e Melli said the minister made the comments on Saturday.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Major powers mull meeting to break logjam with Iran

Reuters: Major powers are considering a joint meeting with...

China may lose out if Iran oil sanctions lifted

AFP: As Western corporations headed for the exits when sanctions...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you