Iran General NewsIran shows off homegrown fighter jet

Iran shows off homegrown fighter jet

-

AFP: Iran on Sunday showed off for the first time a new fighter jet said to be modelled on the American F-5 but built using domestic technology, state media reported. TEHRAN, Aug 5, 2007 (AFP) – Iran on Sunday showed off for the first time a new fighter jet said to be modelled on the American F-5 but built using domestic technology, state media reported.

The “Azarakhsh” (Lightning) jet — one of the first to be home-produced by Iran — made a successful flight in the central city of Isfahan in a ceremony attended by Defence Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar and other officials.

“The success of this domestically developed fighter plane is another example of the technological achievements of our country,” said Isfahan governor Morteza Bakhtiari, according to the state-run IRNA news agency.

“At a time when the United States is selling its arms to its allies in the region, our country’s specialists are taking big strides every day towards self-sufficiency in defence,” he added.

The development of the plane was first announced in September last year, when military officials said that it was “comparable” to the US F-5 fighter jet.

Iran has also developed another homemade war plane named “Saegheh” (Thunder) which it has described as similar to the American F-18 fighter jet.

The fly-by in Isfahan appears to have been the first time the Azarakhsh jet has been shown in public.

Many of Iran’s military planes are of American origin and were bought under the pro-US shah ousted by the Islamic revolution in 1979.

The current US embargo means the Iran must work hard to find spare parts to keep its fleet in the air and officials have repeatedly emphasised the importance of moving towards self-sufficiency in defence.

The United States last week announced new military pacts worth 20 billion dollars for Saudi Arabia, 13 billion dollars for Egypt and 30 billion for Israel in a bid to counter Iran’s regional influence.

Iran dismissed the deals as “fruitless” but insisted it was not worried by the moves.

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Iran arrests 14 Iraqi nationals for illegal entry

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Oct. 04 - Iranian authorities...

Shi’ite militias expand their influence in Central Iraq

The Iranian regime's involvement in Iraq is expanding and...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you