Iran General NewsClemente in talks again for Iran post

Clemente in talks again for Iran post

-

AFP: Spanish coach Javier Clemente is being courted a second time as Iran continue their search for a national team coach, according to press reports Thursday. MADRID (AFP) — Spanish coach Javier Clemente is being courted a second time as Iran continue their search for a national team coach, according to press reports Thursday.

“Iran pulls out all the stops in its bid to lure Clemente,” claimed Marca sports daily.

Its rival paper AS echoed that line, adding that Clemente, who recently rejected an offer to coach the Asian heavyweights after a row over his insistence on living at home in Spain rather than in the Islamic republic, was now in fresh talks with the federation.

Federation chief Ali Kafashian said Sunday that with qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup already underway, pressure of time meant that employing a domestic coach was now the only answer.

“We will appoint an Iranian coach who has work experience and the outlined criteria,” Kafashian said.

Iran on Wednesday then denied having approached Italian coach Giuseppe Materazzi, who was quoted as saying a day earlier that he was asked by top Iranian football officials if he was available and that he had agreed.

“We had no talks with the Italian coach and it appears that he is saying it to make a name for himself,” retorted Mehdi Taj, the Iranian football federation’s spokesman, according to the Fars news agency.

Iran has conducted a months-long search for a new football coach in a saga that has seen a dozen top foreign names mooted, two trainers seemingly appointed before being rejected and a plethora of contradictory statements.

Iranian officials have said they will now appoint a home grown coach from around five candidates, including the Iranian-American coach of top Tehran side Persepolis, Afshin Qotbi.

Latest news

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Must read

Iran’s Mousavi says government agents raped detainees

Reuters: Opposition leader Mirhossein Mousavi accused "establishment agents" of...

Iran Journalist Loses Right Side of His Face Thanks to Medical Neglect by Regime

Iran Focus London, 3 Sep - A prominent Iranian journalist,...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you