Iran General NewsCancelling Iran opposition protests 'regrettable': Clinton

Cancelling Iran opposition protests ‘regrettable’: Clinton

-

AFP: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday called “regrettable” the Iranian opposition’s cancellation of anti-government protests planned for this weekend, the anniversary of last year’s disputed presidential election.

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (AFP) — US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Thursday called “regrettable” the Iranian opposition’s cancellation of anti-government protests planned for this weekend, the anniversary of last year’s disputed presidential election.

“It is not only regrettable that the opposition cancelled demonstrations… but it demonstrates very clearly why the Iranian regime has caused so much concern throughout the world,” she told reporters here on a visit to the island nation.

Iranian opposition leaders earlier Thursday called off rallies planned for Saturday in part “to protect the lives and properties of the people,” Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi said in a joint statement.

In recent weeks both Mousavi and Karroubi had renewed calls for fresh presidential elections and said they rejected President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s authority.

“When you look at the combination of their repression of their people, manipulation of their own elections, the fact they are an exporter and supporter of terrorist activities around the world, and the pursuit of nuclear weapons, it adds up to a very dangerous combination,” Clinton said.

“And therefore we stand in solidarity with the people of Iran as we have since the beginning of the administration,” she added.

After losing to Ahmadinejad in the 2009 election, Mousavi and Karroubi quickly dismissed the result as having been massively rigged, sparking street protests that rocked the Islamic republic last summer and winter.

Security forces cracked down heavily on dissent, with dozens of protesters killed, hundreds arrested and scores of prominent reformists, journalists and rights campaigners put on trial — with many receiving stiff jail sentences.

Authorities in Tehran have vowed to crack down on any new opposition protests.

Referring to the new UN sanctions slapped on Iran Wednesday over its nuclear program, Clinton said the measures “are designed to target those who are behind the government actions that have increased human rights abuses, like the revolutionary guard.”

“We hope there will be a response from the Iranian government to their own people’s aspirations,” she added.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Syria’s al-Assad to travel to Iran on Saturday

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 16 – Syrian leader...

At UNGA, Trump Dashes Iran’s Hopes Regarding US Policy and Nuclear Deal

Iran Focus London, 22 Sep - As US President Trump...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you