Iran General NewsGambia denies it was intended recipient of Iran arms

Gambia denies it was intended recipient of Iran arms

-

AFP: Gambia rejected Thursday claims that it was the intended recipient of a cargo of weapons from Iran that was intercepted in Nigeria, and accused neighbour Senegal of a campaign of “hatred” over the case.

BANJUL (AFP) — Gambia rejected Thursday claims that it was the intended recipient of a cargo of weapons from Iran that was intercepted in Nigeria, and accused neighbour Senegal of a campaign of “hatred” over the case.

Nigeria last month reported to the UN Security Council its find of 13 containers of weapons, including rockets and grenades, shipped from Iran. The incident is a possible violation of international sanctions against Tehran.

Senegal has alleged the weapons were destined for Gambia, which the Gambian government strongly denied in a statement broadcast on television that accused Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade of being behind the claims.

“If those arms were for the Gambia, let it be clear that there is no power on earth that would have prevented the Gambia from negotiating with the Federal Republic of Nigeria for their release to the Gambia,” it said.

“Unfortunately, Abdoulaye Wade decided to disregard this fact and jumped to his illogical and outrageous conclusions apparently blinded by his hatred of the Gambia.”

“President Wade thinks that he can use the arms shipment from Iran in Nigeria to go around the world through envoys to mount a campaign against the Gambia,” it said.

Iran and Gambia, both criticised for their poor human rights record, had long been allies but Gambia severed their ties on November 22, a move a source in the presidency told AFP was “directly linked” to the arms case.

Senegal’s foreign ministry expressed Tuesday “serious concern” about the weapons, saying they were intended for Gambia and were of various types and included “ammunition for heavy weapons”.

The Senegalese press has reported that Dakar fears the arms were destined for rebels seeking independence for southern Senegal, the Movement for Democratic Forces in the Casamance (MFDC), said to have bases in Gambia.

Dakar last month recalled its ambassador to Tehran, reproaching Iran for not providing “satisfactory” explanations about the weapons.

Gambia denies it is a MFDC base and instead claims that Senegal is a refuge for Gambian dissidents who want to overthrow the regime of President Yahya Jammeh.

“Gambia cannot and will never be dictated by any state not to arm or what types of arms we should purchase irrespective of what is going on in a neighboring country especially Casamance,” the government statement added.

Iran is under four sets of UN sanctions over its disputed nuclear programme including a ban on arms sales. It has said the arms shipment was by a private company.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Fatah: the Iranian regime “strives for death and destruction”

Iran Focus London, 2 Aug - Fatah responded Monday...

G8 to back further measures against Iran: diplomats

Reuters: The Group of Eight industrialized powers plan to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you