Iran General NewsIran warns China over South Pars gas deal-report

Iran warns China over South Pars gas deal-report

-

Reuters: China should fulfil its duties in developing a phase of Iran’s South Pars gas field or the contract would be cancelled, the semi-official Mehr news agency on Friday quoted the country’s top oil company as saying.

TEHRAN, June 17 (Reuters) – China should fulfil its duties in developing a phase of Iran’s South Pars gas field or the contract would be cancelled, the semi-official Mehr news agency on Friday quoted the country’s top oil company as saying.

Tehran signed a $4.7 billion contract with China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) in 2009 to help develop phase 11 of South Pars, replacing France’s Total SA which it had accused of repeated delays.

Mehr said the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) had warned that it would “replace CNPC with domestic companies” if the Chinese corporation continued to delay the project.

Iran has the second biggest gas reserves in the world after Russia, but sanctions over its disputed nuclear programme and other factors have slowed its development as a major exporter.

The Islamic state is unable to access the technology it needs to build liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities.

The offshore South Pars field, the world’s largest reservoir of gas, contains about half of the estimated 28 trillion cubic metres of the country’s gas reserves.

Mehr said CNPC officials were reportedly facing “financial problems” to provide the required capital for investment in the project.

Tehran has no major net exports partly because U.S. and UN sanctions have deterred investment by Western firms with expertise and technology.

The Islamic state has increasingly shifted to Asian countries, including China, to develop its oil and gas fields.

The South Pars reservoir is shared by Iran and Qatar. The Iranian part is divided into 24 phases.

Iran said last year production at South Pars rose by nearly 30 percent during the 2009-10 year and that the field is expected to generate income of up to $130 billion annually once all its development phases are completed. (Writing by Zahra Hosseinian; editing by James Jukwey)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

British, Iranian FMs meet at Iraq conference

AFP: British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett met her Iranian...

Iran is the Second Largest Prison for Writers in the World

The 2023 Freedom to Write Index, released by PEN...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you