Iran General NewsRussia 'surprised' by Iran's legal complaint over S-300

Russia ‘surprised’ by Iran’s legal complaint over S-300

-

AFP: Russia said Thursday it was surprised by Iran’s move to lodge a legal complaint against Moscow over the cancellation of an S-300 missile contract, insisting that sanctions had tied its hands.

MOSCOW, August 25, 2011 (AFP) – Russia said Thursday it was surprised by Iran’s move to lodge a legal complaint against Moscow over the cancellation of an S-300 missile contract, insisting that sanctions had tied its hands.

Iran’s ambassador to Moscow, Mahmoud Reza Sajjadi, announced on Wednesday that Tehran had lodged a complaint against Russia with an international court of arbitration, Russian news agencies reported.

He did not say which tribunal had been approached or if it involved the International Court of Justice, which settles disputes between states.

Russia’s state news agency RIA Novosti, quoting Sajjadi, said Iran had filed the complaint nearly half a year ago.

A Russian foreign ministry spokesman said Moscow took note of Iran’s move but insisted it had had no choice but to cancel the long-agreed delivery of ground-to-air-missiles due to UN sanctions.

“Taking into account the traditionally friendly nature of bilateral ties, the fact that our Iranian partners have chosen this path cannot but cause surprise,” the Interfax news agency quoted Alexander Lukashevich as saying.

“The fulfilment by the Russian side of the relevant contract has become impossible due to the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1929,” Lukashevich said.

He added the two countries should look for ways to resolve contentious issues in a “mutually acceptable” manner.

Following the toughening of existing UN sanctions against Iran, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev last year signed a decree banning supplies of S-300 ground-to-air missiles missiles and other arms to Iran.

Russia, which has been a strong ally of Iran and built the Islamic republic’s first nuclear power plant in the southern city of Bushehr, said it would reimburse Tehran for its downpayments on the deal.

The entire contract is estimated to be worth 800 million dollars (572 million euros).

Top Iranian officials, including President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, have lashed out at Russia for cancelling the S-300 deal.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran plans to sell all its petrochemical plants

Bloomberg: Iran plans to sell its petrochemical industry to...

U.S., EU blast Iran’s rights abuses at U.N. forum

Reuters: The United States and European Union denounced Iran...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you