Iran General NewsIran intimidates relatives of British-based journalists: BBC

Iran intimidates relatives of British-based journalists: BBC

-

AFP: Iranian authorities have launched a campaign of intimidation against relatives and friends of British-based Iranian journalists working for the BBC, the broadcaster said on Wednesday.

LONDON, October 5, 2011 (AFP) – Iranian authorities have launched a campaign of intimidation against relatives and friends of British-based Iranian journalists working for the BBC, the broadcaster said on Wednesday.

Security forces in Iran are targeting family and friends of some 10 London-based BBC staff working for the broadcaster’s Persian service, director of BBC Global News Peter Horrocks said.

People had been arrested and intimidated, homes searched and passports confiscated, he wrote in a blog post.

“The relatives have been told to tell the BBC staff to stop appearing on air, to return to Iran, or to secretly provide information on the BBC to Iranian authorities,” Horrocks wrote.

The intimidation increased dramatically following the broadcast of a BBC documentary about Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei around a month ago.

“Many of our Iranian employees who live in London are fearful to return to their country because of the regime’s attacks on the BBC,” he said.

Iran had also intensified in recent weeks its jamming of international Persian language television stations, including BBC Persian TV and the Voice of America’s Persian TV, he said.

“We are seeing the levels of intimidation and bullying as well as attempts to interfere with our independence reaching new levels,” Horrocks wrote.

The new claims by the BBC come after Iran announced on September 17 that six people had been arrested for allegedly gathering information for the broadcaster’s Persian service.

In Wednesday’s blog post, Horrocks said that “although these film-makers have never been employed or commissioned by the BBC, they are paying the price for an indirect connection to the BBC.”

He called on the British and other governments to take action.

The Foreign Office in London condemned the Iranian regime and said British officials had raised the matter with their Iranian counterparts.

“We are aware of the ongoing difficulties for the BBC in Iran, which we condemn utterly,” said a Foreign Office spokesman.

“The blocking of BBC Persian signals and arbitrary arrest of documentary makers not directly connected to the BBC by the Iranian regime should also be condemned.

“We have raised this issue directly with the Iranian authorities.”

Latest news

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Must read

We Need a Global Coalition Against Iran

Iran Focus London, 25 May - Despite considerable efforts...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you