Iran General NewsNokia Siemens to ramp down Iran operations

Nokia Siemens to ramp down Iran operations

-

Reuters: The world No. 2 mobile telecom equipment maker Nokia Siemens Networks will start to gradually ramp down its business in Iran, pressured by tightening international sanctions.

By Tarmo Virki

HELSINKI (Reuters) – The world No. 2 mobile telecom equipment maker Nokia Siemens Networks will start to gradually ramp down its business in Iran, pressured by tightening international sanctions.

Nokia Siemens — one of the key suppliers to Iranian telecom operators along with Ericsson and Huawei — has decided to refrain from seeking new business and gradually reduce its commitments in Iran, it said in a letter to its staff in the country.

The venture of Nokia and Siemens, which has been heavily criticized for its business in Iran, last year decided to only continue business with its existing customers, but said that was “almost impossible” now as it would unlikely get export licenses and it could not get the money out of the country.

“The sanctions on all international banks and other financial institutions have meant that for about a year, Nokia Siemens Networks has been unable to move very little money out of Iran,” it said in the letter seen by Reuters.

“More recently some countries in the EU have forced their banks to cease any trading transactions with Iranian banks.”

China’s Huawei and Sweden’s Ericsson have said they would refrain from seeking new business in the country which has seen tensions between it and the West rising.

Western countries accuse the Islamic Republic of trying to develop nuclear weapons, a charge it denies.

In response to tightened economic sanctions, radical youths stormed the British embassy in Tehran on November 29, causing London to recall all its staff and close its mission.

Nokia Siemens said it would continue to support existing customers and honor contracts for as long as its able to within the limits of any existing or new sanctions and within all applicable laws.

(Reporting By Tarmo Virki; Editing by Richard Chang)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran to start up Natanz nuke site in coming days – official

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jan. 02 – A top...

Iran seeks ‘ sanctions relief’ at nuclear talks

AP: Iran became more adamant Monday that the world...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you