Iran General NewsEgypt halts tanker with Syrian oil for payment fees

Egypt halts tanker with Syrian oil for payment fees

-

Reuters: An Iranian tanker carrying Syrian crude oil is being held in Egyptian waters because it has not paid the Suez Canal Authority the fees required for passage, the Egyptian authority said on Monday.
CAIRO, April 2 (Reuters) – An Iranian tanker carrying Syrian crude oil is being held in Egyptian waters because it has not paid the Suez Canal Authority the fees required for passage, the Egyptian authority said on Monday.

“Its agent has not paid the Suez Canal fees, therefore it hasn’t passed. The issue is not linked to politics,” Tarek Hassanein, head of information at the Suez Canal Authority, said.

Reuters reported on Friday that the M.T.Tour, owned by ISIM Tour Ltd and identified by the U.S. Treasury Department as a sanctions-evading company set up by Iran, was shipping a cargo of Syrian crude to a state-run Chinese company.

The Suez Canal Authority confirmed the vessel was carrying Syrian crude oil bound for Singapore and added it would be allowed to pass with its 81,000 tonne cargo once the fees had been paid.

The M.T.Tour, which was sent by Iranian authorities after Syria was unable to find another vessel to take the cargo, loaded light crude at the Syrian port of Tartus last weekend. The cargo is worth some $84 million to the sanctions-hit Syrian government.

Western and Arab countries have imposed sanctions on Syria in an effort to force Assad to halt the bloodshed, in which the United Nations estimates some 9,000 civilians have been killed.

The Maltese Foreign Ministry said on Sunday it was delisting a Maltese-flagged, Iranian-owned tanker that was carrying Syrian crude oil in breach of international sanctions.

The ministry said the Maltese transport authorities took immediate action last week on learning that the Iranian ship flying the Maltese merchant shipping flag was carrying Syrian oil in breach of sanctions.

Any other Maltese-flagged ships found to be breaking the sanctions would also be delisted, it added. (Reporting Shaimaa Fayed; Writing by Jessica Donati; Editing by Jane Baird)

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran’s Minister of Industry, Mines, and Trade sacked

The impeachment of Seyed Reza Fatemi Amin, the Minister...

Iran’s Rowhani brushes off Netanyahu threats

AFP: Iran's president-elect Hassan Rowhani has brushed off threats...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you