Iran General NewsKerry slams barring of Iran election candidates

Kerry slams barring of Iran election candidates

-

AFP: US Secretary of State John Kerry slammed Iran on Friday for its barring of would-be candidates for a presidential election next month. Kerry spoke at the end of a visit to meet Israeli and Palestinian leaders in Jerusalem and Ramallah respectively. TEL AVIV (AFP) — US Secretary of State John Kerry slammed Iran on Friday for its barring of would-be candidates for a presidential election next month.

“I cannot think of anyone in the world… who would not be amazed by a process in which an unelected Guardian Council, which is unaccountable to the Iranian people, has disqualified… hundreds of potential candidates according to vague criteria,” he said at a news conference in Tel Aviv.

“The council narrowed a list of almost 700 candidates down to… officials of their choice, based solely on who represents the regime’s interests, rather than who might represent some different point of view among the Iranian people,” Kerry said.

“The lack of transparency makes it highly unlikely that that slate of candidates is either going to represent the broad will of the Iranian people or represent a change,” the top US diplomat added.

Kerry spoke at the end of a visit to meet Israeli and Palestinian leaders in Jerusalem and Ramallah respectively.

Ahead of Iran’s June 14 election to replace President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the conservative-dominated Guardians Council winnowed the candidate field from 686 to eight, all of whom are close to supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Rejected candidates include Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a moderate who served as president from 1989 to 1997, and Esfandiar Rahim Mashaie, a controversial aide to Ahmadinejad.

Ahmadinejad himself is constitutionally banned from seeking a third consecutive term.

The disqualifications appeared to leave lead nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili, a figure close to top decision-maker Khamenei, as the frontrunner.

Kerry’s criticism echoed US reactions earlier in the week to Iran’s disqualification of would-be candidates.

“It appears that Iran’s unelected Guardian Council, which is unaccountable to the Iranian people, has disqualified hundreds of potential candidates based on vague criteria,” State Department deputy spokesman Patrick Ventrell said on Tuesday.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Peres says Iran seeks to control Arabs with ‘terror’

Bloomberg: Israeli President Shimon Peres said Iran’s nuclear program...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you