Iran General NewsRussia rejects Iran claim of Putin-Soleimani meeting

Russia rejects Iran claim of Putin-Soleimani meeting

-

Iran Focus

London, 17 Dec – Iran’s state-run Fars News Agency reported on Wednesday the commander of foreign operations for Tehran’s elite Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) had met Russian President Vladimir Putin last week, but a Kremlin spokesman flatly denied the report.

Fars said General Qassem Soleimani, who visited Moscow in July to aid in planning the Russian military intervention in Syria, was back there last week for talks with Putin and senior military and security officials.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov issued a quick denial. “No, there wasn’t,” RIA news agency quoted him as saying when he was asked whether there had been such a meeting.

There was a similar confusion about Soleimani’s travels last July. An Iranian official and two United States security sources told Reuters he had visited Moscow but Russia denied this.

The IRGC-affiliated Fars news agency is the only source to have published the report on the supposed meeting, but it has been forced to quote “unofficial sources” in order to distemper its bogus report, Iran’s main opposition, the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), said late on Wednesday. A report on the group’s website rejected Tehran’s claim.

“This is the second time in recent weeks that the mullahs’ regime has resorted to such half-hearted showmanship in order to cover up news of Soleimani’s injuries and to raise spirits among the regime’s forces”, the NCRI said.

“In the run-up to December 7, or ‘Student Day’ in Iran, the regime’s official news agencies including IRNA and Tasnim (affiliated to the Quds Force) had claimed that Soleimani would appear in the Student Day ceremony in the so-called Beheshti University in Tehran. But half-way through the event, it was ludicrously announced that Soleimani’s appearance had been cancelled”, the NCRI said.

Backed by Russian air strikes, several thousand Iranian troops have arrived in Syria since late September to take part in a pro-government ground offensive, their biggest deployment in the country to date.

Soleimani, head of the IRGC Quds Force, has been subject to an international travel ban and asset freeze by the U.N. Security Council since 2007 for his alleged role in illicit arms trafficking and smuggling nuclear materials.

The National Council of Resistance of Iran revealed on 28 November that “based on information from within the IRGC, Qasem Soleimani had suffered severe shrapnel wounds in mid-November in the southern front of Aleppo. Suleimani’s vehicle, which was there for him to oversee an operation by the IRGC and a number of hired forces, was targeted by the Free Syrian Army, according to these reports. Based on the Iranian Resistance’s information, Soleimani was immediately transferred to Tehran, where he underwent two surgeries”.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Bush challenges Karzai on Iran

AFP: US President George W. Bush challenged Monday his...

US: new Iran nuclear proposal would have tougher terms

AFP: The United States warned Thursday that Iran's continued...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you