Iran General NewsAmnesty: Over 100 Killed in Iran Protest

Amnesty: Over 100 Killed in Iran Protest

-

Amnesty-Iran-Protests-Government-violance

By Jubin Katiraie

Amnesty International believes that over 100 protesters have been killed by the Iranian security forces since Friday.

The Iranian authorities have been using “excessive and lethal force” to crush the peaceful protests in 130 cities across Iran, which were triggered by a sharp rise in fuel prices, announced just hours before the people took to the streets. This violent crackdown has led to dozens of unlawful killings, revealed by verified video footage and eyewitness testimony submitted to human rights activists outside Iran.

Video footage shows the security forces using live ammunition in firearms, water cannons, and tear gas to disperse protesters, while also beating demonstrators with batons. While snipers have also shot into crowds from rooftops or helicopters.

 Amnesty says at least 106 protesters in 21 cities have been killed but believes the death toll is likely much higher, with some reports suggesting that 200 people have died so far. It is hard to determine the exact number of deaths because state media and the authorities are trying to obscure that.

Philip Luther, Amnesty’s Research and Advocacy Director for the Middle East and North Africa, said: “The authorities must end this brutal and deadly crackdown immediately and show respect for human life. The frequency and persistence of lethal force used against peaceful protesters in these and previous mass protests, as well as the systematic impunity for security forces who kill protesters, raise serious fears that the intentional lethal use of firearms to crush protests has become a matter of state policy.”

The crackdown was given the green light by high-ranking government officials, including Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who have issued statements describing protesters as “villains”.

Amnesty urged the Iranian authorities to respect their people’s rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and freedom of expression, as well as calling on them to lift the near-total internet block designed to restrict the flow of information. This shutdown began on Saturday, according to internet freedom group NetBlocks.

Luther said: “The long-standing pattern of impunity for unlawful killings and injuries in Iran is bound to continue unless independent impartial investigations are conducted into all suspected instances of arbitrary and abusive use of force, and those who commit such serious crimes and violations are held to account. The UN and individual member states must publicly denounce Iran’s bloody crackdown. They should press the Iranian authorities to give access to independent human rights observers to hospitals and detention centers in the country, lift the blocking of the internet and invite UN mandate holders to conduct fact-finding visits.”

 

Latest news

Senior Iranian Regime Official Threatens Regional Countries with Military Attacks

Mohsen Rezaei, secretary of the Iranian regime's Supreme National Security Council, responded to increasing U.S. economic pressure by threatening...

Iran’s Regime Lays Groundwork for Raising Gasoline Prices

As economic and financial pressure on the Iranian regime intensifies, Iranian regime president Masoud Pezeshkian has once again laid...

Iranian Regime Parliament Speaker: If People Are Hungry, We Will Not Survive

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, the speaker of the Iranian regime’s Majlis (parliament), warned about the consequences of the economic crisis...

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Must read

U.N.’s Ban says Ahmadinejad “misused” racism meeting

Reuters: U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon accused Iranian President Mahmoud...

Iran: New P5+1 talks possible next month

UPI: The "P5+1" talks among European powers, the United...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you