Iran TerrorismUS Navy Seizes Missile Parts Linked to Iran, Headed...

US Navy Seizes Missile Parts Linked to Iran, Headed for Yemen

-

Iranian missile threat the Middle East

By Jubin Katiraie

A US Navy warship seized advanced missile parts, reportedly linked to Iran, from a boat it stopped in the Arabian Sea, American officials said Wednesday, just as the Donald J. Trump administration increases pressure on Iran to curb its malign behavior in the region.

The Pentagon confirmed in a statement that a US warship discovered “advanced missile components” on a stateless vessel on November 25, which is already suspicious, and that a preliminary investigation indicated that the parts came from Iran.

The statement said: “A more thorough investigation is underway.”

Meanwhile, American officials who were not permitted to speak publically on the matter told Reuters that the guided-missile destroyer Forrest Sherman detained a small boat and that several American personnel went on board, where they discovered the missile parts.

The officials confirmed that the boat’s crew have been handed over to the Yemeni Coast Guard and the missile parts are being held by the United States.

One official said that based on initial information they thought the weapons were being transported to the Iran-linked Houthi rebels in Yemen.

Over the past few years, American warships have on several occasions intercepted Iranian weapons that they believed were headed for the Houthis and seized them, but the official said that this was different because of the advanced nature of the parts.

Iran is banned from supplying, selling or transferring weapons outside the country without approval from the United Nations Security Council, under a UN resolution.

A separate UN resolution, which applies to all countries and individuals, profits supplying weapons to Houthi leaders.

The Houthis claim that their weapons are made by them, but don’t reveal that the parts are smuggled in from their ally Iran and just put together in Yemen using foreign (normally Iranian ) expertise.

A senior Pentagon official previously said that there were signs of Iran potentially carrying out aggressive actions in the future.

Tensions in the Middle East have been rising since late spring, after a series of attacks on oil tankers and a major attack on oil infrastructure in Saudi Arabia.

The US blamed Iran for these incidents, but Iranian officials denied it, with the Houthis even taking responsibility for the attack on Riyadh. Experts say the flight patterns for the missiles couldn’t have come from Yemen and Iran is the likely suspect.

The US has sent 14,000 additional troops to the region since May to deter Iran and US officials said that there is talking of additional US troops being sent to the Middle East.

Latest news

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Canadian Federal Court Rejects Salman Samani’s Request to Halt Deportation

The Federal Court of Canada has rejected Salman Samani's request to halt his deportation from Canada. Samani served as...

Must read

U.S. is ‘nuclear criminal,’ Iran says

UPI: The world's only "nuclear criminal" is the United...

Rafsanjani: West cannot force Iran to abandon nuclear know-how

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, May 23 – Iran’s former...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you