Life in Iran TodayIran’s Government Raids Mixed-Gender Parties

Iran’s Government Raids Mixed-Gender Parties

-

Iranian police

By Jubin Katiraie

Police in Iran arrested 52 people during a raid on a mixed-gender party in the north-eastern city of Mashhad, according to the state-run ROKNA news agency.

Razavi Gholam Ali Sadeghi, the Chief Justice of Khorasan, said that 29 men and 23 women were arrested, noting specifically that the women wore “inappropriate outfits” and had “behaved inappropriately”. This means that the women were not wearing the hijab, which is mandatory in public in Iran but would not be illegal in this instance because the house was a private place.

The police also took possession of the participants’ cars.

The party, which was held on Thursday, October 24, is illegal under Iranian law because men and women cannot attend mixed-gender parties or public gatherings unless they are related. Men and women must be put in separate places, even for things like weddings. Often, this restriction is ignored by officials who’ve been bribed, but surprise raids have increased over the past two years.

This is just another example of the Iranian government interfering in the private lives of ordinary Iranians for no other reason than to intimidate the people and suppress them further.

Earlier this month, 15 young people were arrested for attending a “mixed-gender night party” at a beach resort on the Iranian island of Qeshm in the Persian Gulf. Mohammad Salari, commander of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) in Qeshm, said that this was a joint operation by intelligence forces, police, and the Basij militia.

In Sari, northern Iran, on August 29 and August 30, 35 young men and women were arrested by state security forces who raided three mixed-gender parties.

On August 24, also in Sari, 52 people were arrested at a mixed-gender party, with Fars News Agency reporting that the arrestees included 29 men and 23 women.

On August 16, 10 people were arrested during a wedding ceremony in Jouybar and the hall was sealed.

In related news, on July 30, an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander in Hamadan Province announced that they had arrested 20 women and dismantled “the assembly of a women’s network aimed at promoting a Western lifestyle”. He did not give information on the time, place, or how the group was dismantled, only saying that “the 20 detained women were dealt with”.

While in summer 2018, officials on Qeshm island announced the arrest of 33 young men and women in a “mixed party” after a raid.

 

 

 

Latest news

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Cost of Living Basket Several Times Higher Than Iranian Workers’ Wages

Workers' cost of living has come under pressure from inflation and low wages. July inflation data point to intensifying...

‘No To Executions Tuesdays’ Campaign Expands to 60 Prisons Across Iran

According to human rights sources in Iran, the "No to Executions Tuesdays" campaign has expanded to 60 prisons across...

Iranian Regime Parliament Issues New Plan to Counter ‘Infiltration’

The general framework of the proposal titled "Countering the Infiltration of Intelligence Services and Foreign Governments or Institutions" was...

People In Iran Can No Longer Afford to Repair Household Appliances

The sharp rise in living costs in Iran has prevented many citizens from repairing household appliances, forcing them to...

Must read

Moderate quake jolts western Iran

AP: A moderate earthquake has jolted a small town...

Iran blasts human rights violations in U.S.

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Dec. 23 – A senior...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you