NewsSpecial WireIran says 11 Revolutionary Guardsmen killed in SE bombing

Iran says 11 Revolutionary Guardsmen killed in SE bombing

-

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Feb. 15 – At least 11 members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) were killed in a bombing in the restive south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan, state media reported on Wednesday, revising an earlier death toll of 18. Iran Focus

http://iranfocus.com/uploads/img45d3b4c72096b.jpg” />

Tehran, Iran, Feb. 15 – At least 11 members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) were killed in a bombing in the restive south-eastern province of Sistan-va-Baluchistan, state media reported on Wednesday, revising an earlier death toll of 18.

The bomb exploded next to a bus belonging to the IRGC Ground Forces as it was travelling down Tharollah Boulevard in the city of Zahedan, close to the Pakistani border, the official news agency IRNA said.

The government-run news agency Fars reported that the blast occurred at approximately 6.30 a.m. local time.

The attack injured at least 34 other IRGC members.

IRNA quoted Soltanali Mir, the provincial director general of political affairs, as saying that five individuals had been arrested in connection with the bombing. The state-run news agency ISNA reported that a sixth individual had also been arrested.

Two of the individuals arrested were armed with grenades and were carrying video cameras, Mir said.

He added that Iranian security forces had killed a member of an outlawed group in the province on Tuesday.

Sistan-va-Baluchistan Province is home to Baluchis, a predominantly Sunni Muslim ethnic minority.

Iran has witnessed escalating unrest since 2006 in areas populated by Baluchis, who complain of discriminatory and repressive policies by the theocratic regime.

In recent months, Iranian authorities have stepped up executions in the restive province in what many Baluchis believe is a response to a spate of attacks by dissidents on government and security officials.

A Baluchi group opposed to the government of Iran calling itself Jondollah has claimed responsibility for a string of armed attacks on government officials.

In March, the group claimed responsibility for an armed attack on a convoy of government officials in Sistan-va-Baluchestan, which left 22 government and provincial officials dead and at least seven, including the governor of Zahedan, critically wounded.

In April, Iran’s state-run media reported that security forces had killed the group’s leader Abdolmalek Reigi along with 11 of its members on the border with Afghanistan.

The claim proved to be false after Reigi subsequently appeared on an Arabic-language satellite channel denying such rumours.

The group claims that it does not target civilians.

The Fars news agency reported that Jondollah had claimed responsibility for Wednesday’s attack.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran’s Larijani expected in Brussels Thursday: EU’s Solana

AFP: Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani, who had...

Rice says US has heard positive statements from Iran

Reuters: The United States has heard some positive statements...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you