NewsSpecial WireBritain: Iran seized 15 of our troops

Britain: Iran seized 15 of our troops

-

Iran Focus: London, Mar. 23 – Britain’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced on Friday that 15 of its sailors and marines had been seized by Iranian military forces in the Persian Gulf. Iran Focus

London, Mar. 23 – Britain’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced on Friday that 15 of its sailors and marines had been seized by Iranian military forces in the Persian Gulf.

The incident took place at approximately 10:30 Iraqi time, a statement said.

The British personnel were engaged in routine boarding operations of merchant shipping in Iraqi territorial waters in support of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1723 and the government of Iraq.

“Operating from HMS Cornwall, the UK boarding party had completed a successful inspection of a merchant ship when they and their two boats were surrounded and escorted by Iranian vessels into Iranian territorial waters”, the statement added.

Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett has ordered that the Iranian ambassador in London be summoned to the Foreign Office.

“We are urgently pursuing this matter with the Iranian authorities at the highest level.

“The British Government is demanding the immediate and safe return of our people and equipment”, the statement said.

In June 2004, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) seized six British marines and two sailors along with their gunboats, claiming that they had strayed into Iranian waters. They were held in Iranian custody for three days.

The 8 Britons were blind-folded and paraded on television.

Then-British Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon later told the House of Commons that the released sailors’ accounts showed that they had been abducted by the Revolutionary Guards while they were still in Iraqi waters. The sailors also revealed that while in captivity, they had been forced into a shallow ditch, blindfolded, and led to believe that they would be shot dead.

The British Foreign Office however dismissed such claims and then-Foreign Secretary Jack Straw warmly thanked his Iranian counterpart Kamal Kharrazi after the servicemen’s release, and said the sailors had been “well-treated,” even though they had been paraded in front of television cameras in clear violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Despite repeated demands by London, Tehran never returned the three Royal Navy gunboats. In 2005, they were put on display in a town near where they had been seized.

Analysts say that such actions by Iran’s military against British troops are part of efforts to blackmail Whitehall into ending its support for resolutions against Iran’s suspected nuclear weapons program at the UN Security Council and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

The British embassy in Tehran has also been the site of frequent attacks by Islamic radicals loyal to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

US Tough Line on Iran Is Being Implemented

Iran Focus London, 30 Nov - According to several...

Iran says Obama’s offer to talk shows US failure

AFP: US President Barack Obama's offer to talk to...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you