Iran Nuclear NewsEU refutes Iran 'inactive' charge in nuclear talks

EU refutes Iran ‘inactive’ charge in nuclear talks

-

AFP: European Union Foreign Affairs chief Catherine Ashton has received no written response from Tehran to offers to resume talks on its nuclear programme, her spokeswoman said Wednesday.

BRUSSELS (AFP) — European Union Foreign Affairs chief Catherine Ashton has received no written response from Tehran to offers to resume talks on its nuclear programme, her spokeswoman said Wednesday.

“We offered to meet them at different levels, last time in New York (on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly), and our readiness to meet them is still there,” Maja Kocijancik told AFP.

“We haven’t received anything in writing in response to our offers in the last weeks,” she added.

Tehran this week blamed Ashton for the stalemate in talks, urging her to be “more active” in pursuing the dialogue.

“Basically, it seems that the volume of Ms. Ashton’s activity is lower,” foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast told reporters.

Ashton represents the six world powers — the United States, Britain, China, France, Russia and Germany — in negotiations with Iran.

Mehmanparast directly blamed her for the stalemate. “If she is really eager for negotiations, she should be more active,” he insisted, adding that her predecessor Javier Solana was “more active.”

“We have announced our readiness for negotiations. But the other side … is not really following up, or is not serious” about resuming the dialogue, he said.

Dialogue between Iran and the six powers has been stalled since October 2009, when the two groups last met in Geneva.

The negotiations aim to address international suspicions that Iran is seeking to develop atomic weapons under the guise of a civilian nuclear programme, a charge Tehran vehemently denies.

Last Saturday, Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said Tehran considered late October or early November an appropriate time for a resumption of the talks but a spokesman for Ashton said no date had been set.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had declared a unilateral ban on talks until the middle of September after the Islamic republic was hit with new sanctions by UN Security Council on June 9.

Latest news

40 million Iranians Below Poverty Line

Iran’s economy entered the year 2026 while many economists and regime-affiliated research institutions warned that the country has entered...

Telecommunications Employees in Tehran Protest Four Years of Unpaid Claims

Four years of non-payment of overdue telecommunications wages have pushed employees’ livelihoods to the brink of collapse. According to...

US Prepares for Another War with the Iranian Regime

Images released from the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Strike Group 11, led by the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, show that...

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Must read

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards vow support for Ahmadinejad

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Dec. 02 – The Supreme...

Ebrahim Raisi’s Visit to Khuzestan Raises Suspicions

"For now, the head of state prefers to say...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you