Iran Nuclear NewsNuclear talks may resume with Iran

Nuclear talks may resume with Iran

-

UPI: U.S. and European officials signaled that negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program may resume for the first time in over a year. WASHINGTON, Feb. 18 (UPI) — U.S. and European officials signaled that negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program may resume for the first time in over a year.

The potential for resumed discussions came after an Iranian official dropped previously unacceptable preconditions for talks in a letter this week, The New York Times reported.

Saeed Jalili, Iran’s senior nuclear negotiator, declared his country’s “readiness for dialogue” at “the earliest possibility.”

“I’m cautious and I’m optimistic at the same time for this,” the European Union’s foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, said Friday.

“We must be assured that if we make a decision to go forward, we see a sustained effort by Iran to come to the table, to work until we have reached an outcome that has Iran coming back into compliance with their international obligations,” said Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Meanwhile, the Belgium-based Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, also known as Swift, said in a statement on its Web site that it was “ready to implement sanctions against Iranian financial institutions.”

“A clear multilateral legal framework in relation to international financial sanctions against Iran is emerging,” the Swift statement said. It added Swift was also “closely following the progress” of a bill under consideration in the United States Senate that has similar intentions.

“Swift appears to have made the right decision to end its relationships with sanctioned Iranian institutions,” United Against Nuclear Iran, a New York-based group that has been pushing for stricter sanctions, said in a statement.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Iran dismisses new nuke site charge as “a new lie”

Reuters: A senior Iranian official said on Thursday that...

Saudi says Lebanon violence will affect Iran ties

Reuters: Saudi Arabia said on Tuesday Iranian-backed Hezbollah's routing...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you