Iran Nuclear NewsUN chief urges Iran not to restart nuclear activities

UN chief urges Iran not to restart nuclear activities

-

Iran Focus: London, Aug. 02 – United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan on Tuesday added his voice to a string of world leaders and governments in urging Iran not to go ahead with
its threat to reactivate its suspected nuclear weapons activities that had been suspended as Tehran was negotiating with the European trio of France, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Iran Focus

London, Aug. 02 – United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan on Tuesday added his voice to a string of world leaders and governments in urging Iran not to go ahead with its threat to reactivate its suspected nuclear weapons activities that had been suspended as Tehran was negotiating with the European trio of France, Germany, and the United Kingdom.

A spokesman for Secretary General Annan told reporters, “The Secretary-General urges restraint and patience on the part of the Iranian authorities”, adding, “He very much believes that they should wait for the latest proposals from the European Three before making any attempts to restart their nuclear activities”.

On Monday, Mohamed ElBaradei, the director of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN’s nuclear watchdog, called on Iran not to resume its suspended nuclear activities.

The Foreign Ministers of the EU-3 as well as the EU’s foreign policy chief Javier Solana on Tuesday sent a letter to Hassan Rowhani, Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator, in which they warned that if Tehran carries out its threats to remove the seals from its nuclear conversion facility in Isfahan, central Iran, and re-start work on the nuclear fuel cycle then Europe would have to pursue “other courses of action”.

The French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin made the warning more blunt, by saying that such actions on the part of Iran would inevitably its nuclear file brought before the UN Security Council for possible sanctions.

In Washington, similarly, the White House press secretary told reporters on Monday that any breach by Iran of its obligations under the November 2004 Paris Agreement would force the West to send Iran to the Security Council.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Trust Iran’s People Not Its Ruling Mullahs

By Behrang T. Borhani German intelligence reports showing various...

Man hanged in public in central Iran

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Jan. 29 – A man...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you