Iran Nuclear NewsRussia says six-party Iran talks to be held Tuesday

Russia says six-party Iran talks to be held Tuesday

-

Reuters: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday six-party talks on Iran’s nuclear program would take place on Tuesday, swiftly reversing an earlier statement that the talks had been delayed. By Oleg Shchedrov

MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday six-party talks on Iran’s nuclear program would take place on Tuesday, swiftly reversing an earlier statement that the talks had been delayed.

Lavrov’s rapid volte-face appeared to be a further sign of the difficulties which international powers are having in finding common positions in response to Iran’s defiance of the United Nations.

Lavrov said the talks were back on when he landed in Moscow after a trip to Jordan for a conference also attended by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and foreign ministers from Britain and Germany.

“As a result of .. efforts including those undertaken by Russia the meeting of political directors of the six on Iran will take place on Tuesday,” Interfax quoted him as saying.

“We assume that the goal of the document won’t be striving to punish Iran,” Lavrov said, referring to draft sanctions against Iran being discussed in the U.N. security council.

Lavrov had initially said the talks had been delayed because of differences with Western partners.

The United States, China, Russia, Britain, France and Germany are trying to narrow their differences on Iran.

Russia and the Western partners have clashed repeatedly over a security council resolution with Russia making every effort to avoid any strong sanctions, which it believes would push Tehran into corner and make things worse.

French Foreign ministry spokesman Jean-Baptiste Mattei made clear that the Tuesday meeting was not finalized.

“A meeting of the political directors of the six on Iran is being considered for the start of next week. Contacts are continuing to define the date and the location,” he said.

The United States and the European drafters of the document — Britain, France and Germany — want the 15-member security council to impose sanctions on Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs after it refused to suspend its uranium enrichment activities, as demanded in an August 31 council resolution.

But Russia, backed by China, has chopped off close to half of the original European text.

The West believes Iran’s uranium enrichment work is a cover for bomb-making. Tehran says it is for generating electricity.

A new European proposal, drawn up by France, would ban exports to Iran only of the most dangerous items that could be used to make a nuclear weapon or ballistic missile, according to diplomats familiar with the text.

(Additional reporting by Dmitry Zhdannikov in Moscow and Francois Murphy in Paris)

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Iran election feuding: fake photo of election candidate surfaces

Iran Focus: Tehran, Jun. 08 - Fake campaign posters...

U.S. moves to keep F-14 parts from Iran

AP: President Bush signed legislation Monday prohibiting the Pentagon...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you