Iran Human RightsMEK campaign forces Supreme Leader to confront outrage

MEK campaign forces Supreme Leader to confront outrage

-

London, 26 Aug – The Iranian resistance has forced the regime to comment on the 1988 massacre of 30,000 political prisoners four weeks into its campaign for justice for the victims, mostly members of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI or MEK).

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016, the regime’s Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei, said, “Unfortunately, some people are trying to provide an atmosphere of oppression for Mojahedin (PMOI/MEK) members, and tarnish the image of Imam (Khomeini), but they will not be successful.”

On August 9, 2016, relatives of Hossein-Ali Montazeri, Khomeini’s former heir, published an audio tape in which Montazeri can be heard telling members of the “Death Committee”  in August 1988 that they were committing a crime against humanity and that history would judge them as “criminals.”

The tape provided, to use the words of Maryam Rajavi, “irrefutable evidence” of the responsibility of current regime members in the atrocity. Those members include Rouhani’s Minister of Justice, Mostafa Pour-Mohammadi, who was a member of the Death Committee.

Rouhani himself was Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the regime’s armed forces at the time, and, since 1982, a member of the Supreme Defense Council. In those positions, he was fully cognizant of the atrocity.

Far from being a “moderate,” he is implicated in the killing of 30,000 defenceless prisoners many of whom had served their sentences. Teenagers and pregnant women were not spared in the slaughter: “Annihilate the enemies of Islam immediately,” Khomeini’s fatwa decreed.

Although Amnesty International has said the massacre was “one of the worst abuses,” and called for those responsible to be held accountable, international governmental pressure has been lacking.

Public protest brought Khamenei to acknowledge both what had happened to the MEK in 1988 and what is currently besetting the regime, namely unrest at economic and political conditions.

“Today, economic problems and bottlenecks are the foremost problem of the country,” he said.

Reflecting the centrality of force in maintaining the regime, Khamenei went on to praise the security services “for their role in safeguarding the Islamic Republic’s security at a time when insecurity is rampant in regional countries.”

http://www.ncr-iran.org/news/human-rights/20962-public-outrage-in-iran-subsequent-to-the-revelation-of-1988-massacre-forces-iran-regime-s-supreme-leader-to-react

 

 

Latest news

Execution of Shahram Sadeghi, a Protester from Iran’s January Uprising

The Iranian regime's Judiciary announced on the morning of Sunday, August 16, that Shahram Sadeghi had been executed. He...

Iran’s Healthcare Services in Crisis with Shortage of 100,000 Nurses

The shortage of 100,000 nurses in Iran's healthcare system has now become one of the most serious crises facing...

Spanish Daily El Debate: Inside Iran, an Organized Resistance Endures Against the Regime’s Wartime Crackdown

In an analytical report published by the Spanish daily El Debate, Firouz Mahvi, Political Director of the Brussels office...

Political Prisoner Denied Treatment in Greater Tehran Prison

The physical condition of Hamid Haj-Jafar Kashani, a political prisoner held in Tehran Great Prison, has reportedly become concerned...

Iran’s Regime Cuts Food Voucher Benefits Under ‘Overseas Resident’ Label

In its latest move against low-income segments of society, the Iranian regime has suspended food voucher benefits for a...

Canada Sanctions Five Political and Military Officials of the Iranian Regime

The Canadian government announced on Friday, August 14, that it had imposed sanctions on five military and political officials...

Must read

U.S.’s Bodman encouraged by Iran comments

Reuters: U.S. Energy Secretary Sam Bodman on Friday called...

Official: Iran won’t stop uranium enrichment

AP: An Iranian diplomat says Tehran will not stop...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you