News On Iran & Its NeighboursIraqMultinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of...

Multinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of Iran dissidents

-

Iran Focus: Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.
The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad. Iran Focus

Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.

The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad.

The Multinational Force in Iraq said that it “strongly condemns the abduction of persons protected by the Geneva Convention”.

“Upon learning of the abduction, MNF-I immediately requested that the Iraqi Police investigate the abduction, and is assisting in attempting to find the missing men. MNF-I units have checked with numerous police and Ministry of Interior units and stations, and have notified the MNF-I hostage working group”, the force said in a statement.

The Multinational Force’s working group on hostages has been the lead agency dealing with previous cases of hostage-taking in Iraq, including the abduction of several Western journalists. The statement indicated that the U.S.-led force is treating the abduction of the two Iranian dissidents as a hostage issue.

The Multinational Force’s press release, posted on its website, said that the MeK have been considered protected persons under the fourth Geneva Convention since June 2004.

The U.S. military earlier confirmed the abduction and said it was working to secure the men’s release.

The MeK named the abducted men as Hossein Pouyan and Mohammad-Ali Zahedi. Both men, who are in their forties, are long-time opponents of Iran’s religious government and face severe consequences if returned to Iran, the group said.

Latest news

Iran Regime’s Ministry of Culture’s Decision To Eliminate Children’s Intellectual Centers

With the so-called ‘Cultural Revolution’ which took place between 1980 and 1983, the Iranian regime tried to purge the...

Water Shortage Crisis and the Destruction of Iran’s Water Resources

Iran is currently suffering from a number of dangerous natural disasters. One of the most worrying is the drying...

Economic Freedom Under the Rule of the Mullahs in Iran

The Fraser institute published its annual report of the index of economic freedom on September 8, which measured the...

Iran’s Regime Continues Its Internet Restriction Project

This is part of the outlook of a document by the Iranian regime’s Supreme Council of Cyberspace, which has...

Iran’s Human Development Index Dropped Sharply

One of the most common questions asked in primary schools by teachers all over the world is, “wealth or...

Narcotics Iran Regime’s Income Source for Terrorism

Besides Iran’s malign activities, such as its regional interference, and missile and nuclear projects, drug trafficking plays a major...

Must read

Owner refuses to let gasoline ship sail to Iran

Reuters: The owner of a gasoline tanker refused to...

Obama says Iran nuclear row ‘larger’ than Syria crisis

BBC: US President Barack Obama says Iran should draw...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you