NewsSpecial WireMultinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of...

Multinational Force in Iraq lashes out at abduction of Iran dissidents

-

Iran Focus: Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.
The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad. Iran Focus

Baghdad, Aug. 15 – The Multinational Force in Iraq on Sunday strongly condemned the abduction earlier this month of two Iranian dissidents who were protected persons under the Geneva Conventions.

The U.S.-led force announced that the two members of the opposition group People’s Mojahedin or Mujahedeen-e Khalq (MeK) were abducted on August 4 in eastern Baghdad while on a routine logistics trip to Baghdad.

The Multinational Force in Iraq said that it “strongly condemns the abduction of persons protected by the Geneva Convention”.

“Upon learning of the abduction, MNF-I immediately requested that the Iraqi Police investigate the abduction, and is assisting in attempting to find the missing men. MNF-I units have checked with numerous police and Ministry of Interior units and stations, and have notified the MNF-I hostage working group”, the force said in a statement.

The Multinational Force’s working group on hostages has been the lead agency dealing with previous cases of hostage-taking in Iraq, including the abduction of several Western journalists. The statement indicated that the U.S.-led force is treating the abduction of the two Iranian dissidents as a hostage issue.

The Multinational Force’s press release, posted on its website, said that the MeK have been considered protected persons under the fourth Geneva Convention since June 2004.

The U.S. military earlier confirmed the abduction and said it was working to secure the men’s release.

The MeK named the abducted men as Hossein Pouyan and Mohammad-Ali Zahedi. Both men, who are in their forties, are long-time opponents of Iran’s religious government and face severe consequences if returned to Iran, the group said.

Latest news

More Than 300 Global Figures Urge UN Action Over Rising Executions in Iran

A coalition of more than 300 international legal experts, former United Nations officials, Nobel Prize laureates, judges, and human...

Iranian Citizens Struggle to Cover Expenses as Housing Crisis Deepens

In recent months, the housing crisis has become one of the country’s most important economic and social concerns. Continuous...

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

Must read

Connex Sleepers, the Other Face of Marginalization in Iran

Most official statistics in Iran cannot be trusted, and...

Iranian-American Communities Condemn NBC’s Bias Reports Against the MEK

Iranian regime’s apologists who see the imminent downfall of the...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you