Iran General NewsAnti-US rally in Iran over alleged Koran desecration

Anti-US rally in Iran over alleged Koran desecration

-

AFP: At least 1,000 Iranians in the holy city of Qom protested Wednesday over desecration of the Koran at the US detention camp at Guantanamo Bay, even though a story alleging the abuse has been retracted. The demonstrators, mostly
students from Shiite Muslim seminaries, chanted “Death to America” and other anti-US slogans. AFP

QOM, Iran – At least 1,000 Iranians in the holy city of Qom protested Wednesday over desecration of the Koran at the US detention camp at Guantanamo Bay, even though a story alleging the abuse has been retracted.

The demonstrators, mostly students from Shiite Muslim seminaries, chanted “Death to America” and other anti-US slogans.

Some were dressed in white shrouds as a symbol of their willingness to be martyred for the cause, an AFP photographer said.

“The Bush administration must know it will be toppled for desecrating the Koran,” hardline Shiite cleric Ahmad Khatami, who is no relation to Iran’s reformist President Mohammad Khatami, told the rally.

He also described Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as “evil”.

“Although the Americans have pledged to sort out the problem, they would be better off putting (US President George W.) Bush on trial,” he said.

Qom, situated around 150 kilometers (93 miles) south of Tehran, is Iran’s clerical capital.

The US magazine Newsweek on Monday retracted an article that said interrogators had thrown a Koran into a toilet to rattle Muslim prisoners at the detention facility in Cuba.

The report, which appeared in the May 9 edition, has sparked protests throughout the Muslim world. In Afghanistan 14 people were killed in anti-US protests last week.

Rice had described the Newsweek report as “appalling” and said it had created a “very major problem” for Washington in the Muslim world.

The reaction in Iran has been relatively muted, although last week Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi complained that “US officials should have reacted, expressed their outrage and punished those responsible much sooner.”

Latest news

Massive Washington Rally Highlights Growing Pressure on Iran’s Regime

Thousands of Iranian Americans, political activists, and former U.S. officials gathered in Washington, D.C. on May 16 for one...

French Magazine Exposes ‘Shah-Making Factory’: Fascist Networks and Lobbies Grooming the Shah’s Son as an Alternative to the Iranian Regime

The renowned French magazine Nouvel Observateur has published a comprehensive investigation by Marie Vaton exposing the hidden mechanisms of...

Iraqi Militia Commander Arrested Over Alleged Plotting of Terrorist Attacks in the U.S. and Europe

An Iraqi militia commander has been arrested on charges of involvement in planning more than 12 “terrorist” attacks in...

Concerns in U.S. Congress Over Cryptocurrency Transfers to Networks Linked to Iran’s Regime

Two members of the U.S. Congress, Sean Casten and Gregory Meeks, in an official letter to the U.S. government,...

IRGC Increases Terrorist Activities in Gulf Arab Countries

At a time when Iran’s regime is pursuing a policy of regional militarism, a broad wave of alleged IRGC-linked...

77 Days of Internet Shutdown, A Tool of Control and a Sign of Tehran’s Real Fears

The crisis of internet shutdowns in Iran has entered a new phase. 77 days of internet cuts, widespread disruptions,...

Must read

Iran accuses Netherlands of overthrow plot: report

AFP: Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards has accused the Netherlands...

An explosive move

The Times - Leading articles: Iran’s provocative boast that...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you