Iran General NewsNetanyahu picks new security minister as Iran strike debated

Netanyahu picks new security minister as Iran strike debated

-

Reuters: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu chose a former security chief on Tuesday as his new civil defence minister amid heightened public debate over a possible strike on Iran. JERUSALEM (Reuters) – Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu chose a former security chief on Tuesday as his new civil defence minister amid heightened public debate over a possible strike on Iran.

Avraham Dichter, who has served as internal security minister and head of the Shin Bet, Israel’s domestic intelligence agency, has said in the past he would prefer Israel not to go it alone in any attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.

Washington has urged Israel to allow more time for diplomacy to rein in Iran’s nuclear programme, which Tehran says is peaceful. But Israeli officials have said lagging talks by major powers with Iran to reduce its uranium enrichment have given Tehran more time to come closer to developing a nuclear weapon.

Israeli commentators described Dichter, 59, as close to both Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak, the two top decision-makers in any future military action against Iran. Dichter was a member of the elite commando unit where they once served.

Confirming the appointment, Netanyahu said Dichter “will now have an important assignment to assist in what he has been involved in all his life, contributing to state security.”

Dichter will replace former general Matan Vilnai, recently named as Israel’s ambassador to China. On his Facebook page, Dichter said he had accepted the cabinet post, making no mention of Iran.

In a sign of mounting Israeli concern, Netanyahu told his cabinet on Sunday that most other threats to Israeli security were “dwarfed” by the prospect of Iran producing an atomic warhead.

Israel has been “investing billions in home-front defence,” Netanyahu also said, adding to media speculation his cabinet might be mulling a possible attack.

The Israeli military has this week been testing a text message emergency notification service in about a dozen cities. A television station reported on Sunday that Israel expected to sustain as many as 50,000 missile strikes in the event of any conflict with Iran.

In remarks to reporters in February, Dichter said that Israel “is not a superpower” and should “not lead a world offensive against Iran” although it needed to prepare in case the world did not take action.

Netanyahu recruited Dichter, the son of Holocaust survivors, from the centrist Kadima party that left his government last month after a short-lived political alliance.

Dichter led the Shin Bet during a Palestinian uprising a decade ago, and was widely seen as responsible for a policy of assassinating leading militants blamed for involvement in suicide bombings against Israelis.

(Writing by Allyn Fisher-Ilan; Editing by John Stonestreet)

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

US pours cold water over hopes of Iran deal

The Times: The White House warned Iran last night...

EU to impose fresh sanctions on Iran: source

AFP: EU nations were set on Monday or Tuesday...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you