NewsSpecial WireUN nuke chief says Iran could have A-bomb in...

UN nuke chief says Iran could have A-bomb in “months”

-

Iran Focus: London, Dec. 05 – The chief of the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog warned on Monday that Iran could develop nuclear weapons within “a few months” of starting uranium enrichment in its massive underground nuclear facility in Natanz, central Iran. Iran Focus

London, Dec. 05 – The chief of the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog warned on Monday that Iran could develop nuclear weapons within “a few months” of starting uranium enrichment in its massive underground nuclear facility in Natanz, central Iran.

International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Mohamed ElBaradei told the United Kingdom’s Independent that both Iran and the West had to refrain from escalating their dangerous game of brinkmanship, in the international standoff over Tehran’s suspected nuclear weapons program.

The EU-3 – Britain, France, and Germany – who had led talks with Tehran, initially halted negotiations on the grounds that Iran unilaterally breached an agreement to suspend nuclear enrichment activities, by resuming uranium conversion in a plant in Isfahan. They have since backtracked on their threat of referring Tehran’s nuclear file to the UN Security Council and instead offered to meet with Iranian officials in the hopes that Tehran will abandon the nuclear fuel cycle on its own soil, an act outright rejected by Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani in an interview with the French news agency AFP on Sunday.

ElBaradei warned that if Iran carries out a threat to reopen Natanz a dangerous escalation will ensue, and raise fresh questions about Iran’s insistence that its nuclear intentions are peaceful.

“If they start enriching this is a major issue and a serious concern for the international community”, he said, adding that the concern was “because lots of people feel it could be a dual purpose program”.

ElBaradei said that once the Natanz facility was up and running, the Iranians could be “a few months” away from a nuclear weapon. IAEA officials have previously asserted that Natanz would become fully operational two years from now.

“I know they are trying to acquire the full fuel cycle. I know that acquiring the full fuel cycle means that a country is months away from nuclear weapons, and that applies to Iran and everybody else”, he told the British paper.

Latest news

Iran: Death Sentence of Political Prisoner Manouchehr Fallah Reconfirmed

As pressure against political prisoners in Iran intensifies, reports indicate that a court in Rasht has once again confirmed...

Iran’s Regime Forms New Headquarters for Repression and Control of Cyberspace Amidst Internet Blackouts

As widespread internet disruptions and blackouts continue across Iran, reports indicate the formation of a new body called the...

Secret Execution of Two Kurdish Political Prisoners in Naqadeh Prison, Iran

In the early hours of Wednesday, May 20, the death sentences of two Kurdish political prisoners, Ramin Zeleh and...

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Must read

Rice calls on Iran to release jailed US-Iranian scholar

AFP: US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on...

U.S. Must Act Now to Stop Iranian ICBM Development and Testing

Iran Focus London, 23 Jul - Because of its...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you