Iran Nuclear NewsRice says Iran must be taken to UN Security...

Rice says Iran must be taken to UN Security Council

-

Iran Focus: London, Jan. 12 – United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice condemned on Thursday Iran’s decision to resume uranium enrichment-related activities at its key nuclear site in Natanz and said that Washington supported Tehran’s referral to the United Nations Security Council. Iran Focus

London, Jan. 12 – United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice condemned on Thursday Iran’s decision to resume uranium enrichment-related activities at its key nuclear site in Natanz and said that Washington supported Tehran’s referral to the United Nations Security Council.

“There is simply no peaceful rationale for the Iranian regime to resume uranium enrichment”, Rice said.

She added that the U.S. was “gravely concerned” by Iran’s long history of hiding sensitive nuclear activities from the International Atomic Energy Agency, “in violation of its obligations”, as well as its “refusal to cooperate with the IAEA’s investigation, its rejection of diplomatic initiatives offered by the EU and Russia, and now its dangerous defiance of the entire international community”.

“The Iranian regime’s defiant resumption of uranium enrichment work leaves the EU with no choice but to request an emergency meeting of the IAEA Board of Governors. That meeting would be to report Iran’s non-compliance with its safeguards obligations to the UN Security Council”, Rice said. “As the EU-3 and EU have declared, these provocative actions by the Iranian regime have shattered the basis for negotiation”.

Iran broke IAEA seals at its uranium enrichment facility in Natanz and resumed previously-suspended nuclear research and development.

The U.S. Secretary of State said that Tehran’s actions had made worse the “confidence deficit” that IAEA director general Mohamed ElBaradei had previously described. “As a result, the IAEA Board of Governors must go forward with a report to the UN Security Council, so that the Council can add its weight in support of the ongoing IAEA investigation”.

Latest news

City Council Member in Zanjan Runs Over Protesting Worker With Car

The state-run Rouydad24 news website wrote on May 19 regarding the protests by Zanjan municipality workers: "Disregard for workers'...

PMOI Confirms Deaths of Resistance Unit Members During 2025–2026 Iran Uprising

As further details emerge from the nationwide uprising that swept across Iran from late 2025 into early 2026, the...

Urban Poverty in Iran: The Collapse of the Economy of Life in Major Cities

Urban poverty in Iran has now reached a stage where it can no longer be explained merely through income...

Gasoline Price Hikes in Iran Trigger a New Battle Over People’s Livelihoods

As Iran’s economic crisis, inflation, and declining purchasing power continue, recent remarks by Hamid Rasai, a member of the...

Paris to Host Major Rally Supporting a Free Iran on June 20

More than 100,000 people are expected to gather in Paris on June 20, 2026, to voice their support for...

Amnesty International: 2,159 People Executed in Iran in 2025

In a new report, Amnesty International stated that the Iranian regime carried out at least 2,159 executions in 2025,...

Must read

Amnesty rips Iran for child executions

Iran Focus: Tehran, Iran, Oct. 20 – A top...

Davos Schwab says Iran, Syria ‘black swans’

Bloomberg: Klaus Schwab, founder of the World Economic Forum,...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you