Iran Human RightsIran sacks cyber police chief over blogger's death

Iran sacks cyber police chief over blogger’s death

-

AFP: Tehran’s cyber police chief has been sacked for negligence in events leading to the death in custody of an Iranian blogger, Iran’s police said on its website on Saturday.
TEHRAN (AFP) — Tehran’s cyber police chief has been sacked for negligence in events leading to the death in custody of an Iranian blogger, Iran’s police said on its website on Saturday.

Colonel Saeed Shokrian “was removed from his post due to negligence and lax supervision over personnel under his command,” police.ir reported, quoting a decree by Iran’s police chief, Esmaeel Ahmadi Moghadam.

His dismissal came weeks after the fate of blogger Sattar Beheshti, reportedly tortured to death after criticising Iran’s regime in his posts, provoked an international outcry.

Beheshti, 35, was found dead in his cell in a Tehran prison on November 3 after being arrested on October 30, according to chief prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejeie.

His death also provoked outrage inside the regime, in a rare case of Iran accepting international criticism over a human rights complaint.

Judiciary officials have promised a full investigation into the case, leading to seven arrests so far, according to Iranian media.

“The judiciary will investigate the case within the framework of law, and will confront those responsible for the incident,” Mohammad Javad Larijani, head of the judiciary’s High Council of Human Rights, said in remarks reported by media on Saturday. He called the death “suspicious”.

Mehdi Davatgari, a lawmaker overseeing a parliamentary inquiry into Beheshti’s death, had earlier called for the removal of Shokrian.

Preliminary investigations by the coroner, the prosecutor and the parliamentary committee suggest Beheshti’s death was caused by mistreatment, either through beating or psychological torture, at the hands of the cyber police.

Alaeddine Boroujerdi, who heads parliament’s national security and foreign affairs committee, took issue on Saturday with claims by pathologists that Beheshti had died from shock and fear, saying he had “very clearly” been beaten while in detention.

He called on the cyber police to “seriously review its practices.”

Iran formed the police unit in early 2011 to combat “cyber crimes,” particularly those committed on social networking sites which are popular among the opposition and dissidents.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

Germans arrest Iranian-Canadian for allegedly breaking trade embargo

Canadian Press: German authorities have arrested a Canadian-Iranian citizen on...

Key nations split over Iran sanctions

AP: The world's most powerful nations failed to agree...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you