Iran Nuclear NewsIran: US 'wishes won't come true' at nuclear talks

Iran: US ‘wishes won’t come true’ at nuclear talks

-

AP: Iran’s foreign minister said Wednesday that Washington’s “wishes are unlikely to come true” in talks between the Islamic Republic and world powers over its nuclear program.

The Associated Press

By Ali Akbar Dareini

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s foreign minister said Wednesday that Washington’s “wishes are unlikely to come true” in talks between the Islamic Republic and world powers over its nuclear program, the government’s latest apparent attempt to deflect criticism from hard-line skeptics who say that President Hassan Rouhani will give up too much for too little in upcoming negotiations over a final comprehensive deal.

Mohammad Javad Zarif indicated the U.S. wanted Iran to give up major parts of its nuclear program but said such demands won’t be carried out.

“America has wishes and those wishes are unlikely to come true and that’s why they are negotiating with the Islamic Republic of Iran to achieve a solution based on realities,” he told a news conference in Tehran.

Iran on Jan. 20 stopped enriching uranium to 20 percent and started neutralizing its existing stockpile of that grade – just steps away from weapons material – in order to fulfil commitments reached under an interim deal in Geneva on Nov. 24. The U.S. and the European Union also lifted some sanctions in response to the Iranian moves.

The interim Geneva accord will last for six months as Iran and the six-nation group – the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany – negotiate a final deal. Those talks are to start Feb. 18 in Vienna.

Under the six-month deal, Iran agreed to halt its 20 percent enrichment program, but will continue enrichment up to 5 percent. It also will convert half of its stockpile of 20 percent enriched uranium to oxide, and dilute the remaining half to 5 percent.

In return, the U.S. and the EU simultaneously announced the lifting of sanctions on petrochemical products, insurance, gold and other precious metals, auto industry, passenger plane parts and services. They also plan to release $4.2 billion Iranian assets of oil revenues blocked overseas, in eight installments over a period of six months. The first installment of $550 million was provided to Iran on Feb. 1, according to Iranian officials.

U.S. officials have repeatedly said they will seek to “dismantle” major parts of Iran’s nuclear program.

U.S. President Barack Obama said in Dec. that “If we could create an option in which Iran eliminated every single nut and bolt of their nuclear program … I would take it.”

Rouhani and Zarif face a challenge in selling the accord to skeptics who say Iran has made too many concessions in return for too little. Hard-liners have called the deal a “poisoned chalice.”

But Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters, has so far backed Rouhani’s policy of engagement with the outside world, including the nuclear deal.

Latest news

Iran’s Regime Executes Ghaem Hosseini, Fifth Execution in Alikhani Square Case

Ghaem Hosseini, who was arrested during the nationwide January protests and was one of those sentenced in the so-called...

Iranian Patients Face Soaring Medication Costs as Drug Prices Soar by 300%

While the Iranian regime's Food and Drug Administration claims that the recent currency policy changes do not mean the...

Iran’s Livelihood Crisis and the Regime’s Deadlock in Covering Costs

The August 18 editions of the Tosee Irani and Ham-Mihan newspapers carried the headline: "The monthly livelihood basket has...

Fresh Wave of Disciplinary Actions at Sharif University: 10 Students Face Expulsion

Sharif University of Technology has once again become the focus of disciplinary actions and student expulsions. According to the...

Economic Crisis: The Real Face of a Regime That Portrays Itself as Powerful

Following increased economic pressure on the Iranian regime and a naval blockade, its leaders fear that US President Donald...

Tensions Rise Between France and Iran’s Regime

In response to the Iranian regime's decision to declare two former employees of the French Embassy in Tehran "persona...

Must read

U.S. calls Iran backtracking on nuke threat positive

Reuters: The United States welcomed news Iran had backed...

Iran talks first step, more must follow – Germany

Reuters: Talks between Iran and six world powers in...

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you